Improve this SP-11 HV supply? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2011, 03:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Improve this SP-11 HV supply?

Phono section of this SP-11 preamplifier never worked -- traced it back to a wonky MC7812K which was depriving the phono section filaments. A few weeks ago the entire thing started popping fuses.

Well, digging in I've replaced the 1N4006's with UF4007's and upgraded the filter caps. Just wondering if the entire MOSFET/MC34071P regulator isn't worth an upgrade while the top is still off!

Click the image to open in full size.

I just posted the link to the rest of the schematic on the AR db -- ARCDB - SP-11
Old 12th January 2011, 07:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Expensive enough ? Despite the complexity and the number of regulators !!, the 6.3V supply is rather hit and miss with no output decoupling to ground. What happens on start up is the regulators go close into current dropout limit/shutdown...limited by the large series resistors R140/141 ....(tungsten near s/c cold resistance).....long term reliability a question. I never like these types of circuits. Maybe the L series 1.5A versions are a better regulator.
A 25V rated electroytic cap working at 22V (0.9) unadjusted for AC variations questions reliability. A 40V rated component space permitting would do the trick.

richy
Old 13th January 2011, 03:13 AM   #3
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Get it working correctly first. Then modify.

I doubt you'd get much out of messing with the FET/op-amp regulators. Granted the MC34071 (Motorola TL071 equivalent?) doesn't have the highest AVOL or lowest noise in the world, but I doubt you can get significantly better ripple rejection without running into issues with HF stability. You might be able to get better 1/f noise in the regulator by using a bipolar rather than a FET for the pass device. But honestly, I'd leave it alone.

~Tom
Old 13th January 2011, 01:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Turns out that one of the windings on the transformer was shot -- (the one for V2) what I discovered was that the secondary windings are twisted pairs of enameled wire. When I un-soldered the transformer it turned out that only one of the pair were soldered to their respective diodes. The other wire wasn't connected on one end! Thus the remaining wire had to handle 2x the current and failed.

The regulator for V2 should have had a diode across it --
Old 24th February 2011, 08:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've found a couple more errors in the wiring of this preamplifier's power supply.
Old 24th February 2011, 08:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I wonder why they didn't put the current limiting resistors ahead of the voltage regulators -- would made the regulator do less work.
Old 1st March 2011, 06:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

This will probably cause heart attacks in Minnesota -- slow-start filament regulator for V2:

Old 2nd March 2011, 11:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Was thinking that they were using twisted pair for the transformer wiring. This is the "offending" 12V secondary which had become detached (thus the phono pre had no filament voltage). Seemed strange that only 1 tube would cause a problem. The wires are twisted for some structural integrity, not lower resistance. There is, however, a similar problem for the transformer primary which has to be tackled.

Hide this!Advertise here!