• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pete Millett Uniamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm planning to build this amp with 6550s. I have the pcbs & Sowter PS tx's too. My question is about negative feedback. There isn't much info on Pete's site but I want to lower the O/P Z with about 10dB of global loop neg feedback from the O/p Tx's (Hammond 1650Rs). I was wondering what calcs I need to do to get suitable cap/resistor values. Any help would be much appreciated.

Yvesm, your reponse is in line with my own thinking and I have typically set the compensation cap value based upon the most opitmum squarewave response I could obtain at 10 Khz usiing my Wavetek square wave generator and my Tek 465b scope when driving a 8 ohm dummy load. My question to Eli was in interest of why he specifically stated 2 khz. Maybe it is only his frequency of choice or was merely stated as an example. Eli is a smart guy and I was curious if he might have futher reasons for his recommendation. Mickeystan

Well formed square waves are made up of many upper harmonics. Because of this, a square wave can be reliably used to convey information by a factor of ten times. Therefore 2KHz will equate out to 20KHz. A 2KHz fundamental is the accepted standard for square wave testing when an output transformer is involved. To use a much higher frequency would require the OPT to properly pass ten times that frequency. Generally speaking, the response of most OPTs are unreliable at elevated high frequencies and could produce distorted and abnormal square waves. One would not want to compensate for an overly distorded square wave.

Uniamp Global NFB

FYI, I never actually tried applying loop feedback on this amp this way myself - you may have some phase margin issues! Applying feedback around two transformers can be a difficult thing...

Pete

Bump

Has anyone applied global NFB on these Uniamps?

I built a pair of mono blocks using these boards with EL43's in the output stage with Hammond 1650P transfromers. I built the amps to drive a pair of Quad ESL 57's, but they dont sound good into the ESL's as they are a difficult load dropping down to below 2 ohms at high frequencies. I feel they would sound better with some NFB. I would like some help on how to go about it.

Thanks.

Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.