• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

7591 cathode resistor unstable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Strange and unexplained event on a cathode resistor of 10 ohms, 1/2 watt, Xicon brand suddenly racing up to 250 to 350 ohms. They are supposed to be rated to 350V. This has happen three times now, different tubes, different sockets, different times. I caught the event twice after ruining one tube. The tubes are NOT shorting, the resistor is NOT popping. The tube which was damaged, now draws considerable more plate current than before, the other two are OK and still the same. Tubes tested on a restored and calibrated Triplett 3444.

The amp is a restored Sherwood 5500 II, hot-rodded with outstanding parts, except these Xicon resistors. Plate is 405, screen is 397, grid is pot adjustable to get 22ma across the 10 ohm resistor so the tubes run quite cool. The amp is never run more than 2/3 open driving 8 ohm speakers.

Everything checks out as OK circuit wise so I am stumped what is making these resistors fail unless it is simply the brand.

Any ideas????

A lot of different brands have a bad day, and doubt if they do much of a sample test at 400V. I've been using generic indian manufactured "multicomp" metal film resistors from newark.com in the 1 and 2 watt sizes in my tube preamp. They are rated 400 volts up. Nothing exciting happened. I put some salvage RN65 dale resistors in my tube organ power supply to drop main B+, and nothing unusual happened. I've got a Triplett 3444 I found in the trash in 1987, for cause because with new electrolytic caps, everything is still a shorted tube. ? I do have a schematic but it is hard to understand with all those switches.I Would expect this question to be on tubes thread, since you've been here since 2007. Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.