Hybride bipolair amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2011, 03:16 PM   #11
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I find the music comes out of my valve amp at the same "speed" as it goes in. My amp is not "lazy"; it works quite hard.

I don't like "tube sound" myself, but I wondered if that is what you are pursuing. The 6C4 input stage will add a little second-order distortion, which will then get mixed up to higher orders by the negative feedback. The net result won't be much different from an all solid-state amp, as the dominant distortion will come from the output stage.

"Hybrid SRPP" would impress some people in an advert for a Chinese amp on ebay, but why copy them in a DIY design?
Old 11th January 2011, 05:26 PM   #12
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I find the music comes out of my valve amp at the same "speed" as it goes in. My amp is not "lazy"; it works quite hard.

I don't like "tube sound" myself, but I wondered if that is what you are pursuing. The 6C4 input stage will add a little second-order distortion, which will then get mixed up to higher orders by the negative feedback. The net result won't be much different from an all solid-state amp, as the dominant distortion will come from the output stage.

"Hybrid SRPP" would impress some people in an advert for a Chinese amp on ebay, but why copy them in a DIY design?
Haha you are a tube fan? that,s nice because I love the nostalgie around them, it is not for nothing that i try to combine them, Yes the tube amps has a warm and relaxed sound, and I don,t want to drop tube lovers, I like to play with tubes, the design with bipolairs I have put here because this is very rare, the most are mosfets, but the miller capacity is sometime a problem with mosfets, bipolairs are a lot better, I have included a schematic (mosfets) I use now, it is not completely the same, I use a beefy EL84 for driving the mosfets with a mosfet CCS and get rid of the capacity for now. The new schematic uses a white follower for the mosfets with two low voltage 6C19 tubes who are very beefy x two (white follower).

It is not distortion but the lazyness from the output trafo, mosfets are much faster, and that give more detail, if very good designed, that SRPP thing is not good sounding, SRPP load the bottom tube to much and therefore not much freedom, with a mustage or a CCS there is mucho impedance so the bottom tube see a very big pipe and can swing freely and that all with a low impedance..

But tja it is al theory you have to play that is wat this forum is about.

Excuses for the schematic sometimes a little to quick made.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf hybride-mustageV1.ms11.pdf (28.3 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by kees52; 11th January 2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11th January 2011, 05:27 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

and here the scoop of the block signal 50 khz with that mosfet hybride, now it is just a simulation not real but these days simulation is really good.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Instruments.pdf (52.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 15th January 2011, 02:28 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

quiet here? not much men who like challances.

oke here a plot of the hybride wiith dual mu-stage dc coupled to the mosfets with current feedback and tube age tracking opamp who do also offset, cuurent feedback is local and the current feedback makes the amp bandwith independent of feedback and very fast, here the tube has a lot of beef, you can use a other bigger one with a max mu of 4 now it is 2, so the feedback is weak.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mu amp.zip (86.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 15th January 2011, 08:34 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I can't see the point of this sort of hybrid, as it combines the worst features of both technologies and requires a complex multi-rail power supply. Don't expect "tube sound" from it!
There is no reason why the tube cant run off bipolar B+ and B-.
The heater can be dropped off B+ or B- with resistors.

I designed a similar amp and have had good feedback from users.
Old 15th January 2011, 09:38 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
There is no reason why the tube cant run off bipolar B+ and B-.
The heater can be dropped off B+ or B- with resistors.

I designed a similar amp and have had good feedback from users.
most high end has separated B+ and B- but here because of the high suppression of rail noise it is indeed a way to do it.

the tube can work on fairly low supply but better is not lower then 100 volt then you need a separate supply, the tube gets a half of total B volt.
Old 16th January 2011, 11:52 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

"Haha you are a tube fan? " uuuh!? this is the Tubes forum......

I think it is interesting with SS people visiting and challenging our "beliefs" but when you throw out things like "lazy" amps you need to understand that most people here (AFIK) are not into tube amps for the high low order harmonics and low damping factors of poorly designed tube gear (tube sound?)
For the sake of interesting discussions you need to be more clear on what you mean with "lazy" and "speed"
Old 19th January 2011, 06:01 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I now what the struggle means between bilopair and tube lovers, I like the sound of tubes, but it has no point to struggle about the ja,s or no,s of it, I try to get a combi for tube and bipolair and it is possible to get good sound, but yes oneven harmonic distortion is not a lovely sound, and so tube power stages has here a big plus, only damping is less, also impulse , as we have these days much better outputfrafo,s for tubes wich are much faster tubes as power stages is more interesting.
Old 6th August 2011, 05:19 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi All

a update I have build one and have very good results, i post pictures of the amp, the sound is very nice a tube fan from a store here has a positive word about it, still the sound is more harsh then tubes, that is what I mean with speed or laze, both has its own trouble, why a higher speed then music wants, more important bandwith because of music has a lot more spectrum then many now.

Oke this hybride works now with vertical mosfets as a power stage, dc coupled on driver tubes, the scope pictures are made this afternoon, picture one has square wave on 20 Khz, two has 20 Khz with input filter and the last is a sweep between 10 and 25 Khz, it looks very nice for me, no overshoot.

I am not much here, my friend has proberly lung cancer, that is a big happening for me, and I am try to help coming days but sometimes I have to unload myself with amps and music..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foto-0005#1.jpg (265.7 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg Foto-0003#1.jpg (329.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Foto-0004#1.jpg (336.4 KB, 130 views)
Old 6th August 2011, 05:28 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

This is the schematic who did it.

The 6DJ8 is a 6N6P I had that not in multisim.

here it is. upgrade_noval_tubes_to_6H6P
Attached Files
File Type: pdf hybrideamp.pdf (22.8 KB, 70 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!