• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Decoupling cap hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 2 pairs of decoupling caps to use for my Aikido phono amp - 2 Mundorfs and 2 Ampohms. When I connect the Ampohms, everything is quiet. But I get significant hum if I connect the Mundorfs. I think the caps are picking my torroid transformer noise as moving the transformer away reduces the noise. And the ampohms are in metal cans and mundorfs are not. How can I solve this problem? I dont have too much space so moving things around is not an option. Can I wrap the Mundorfs in tin foil to insolate them? Thanks for any ideas.

Here you go:

Attachments

• DSC00161.JPG
    DSC00161.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 159
Tricky question. It may be the metal can aspect, but it may also be another mechanism such as earthing - or the cans shielding the inputs?

Can you explain the powering and grounding schemes - it's difficult to make out a single point grounding scheme? Is it powering or shields coming in at the cap end. The chassis is at the opposite end. Heaters and HT (??) - are they the twisted red/black - how are they referenced?

The primary ac cabling is a mess.

The board wont fit the other way. my real question is why the mundorfs hum and not the ampohms. and if i can make them act like the ampohms.

Yes they can provided you are willing to redrill but that would mess things up and the signal wires may have to be longer, what to do?

1. The easyiest way mabe is to add an alluminium plate with flanges to screw them across the transformer power supply.

2.Use shielding copper braid and sleeve the power wires and signal wires.

3.Last resort move things around.

4.As to why? Who knows but electromagnetic interference is everywhere
so it's a matter of luck or the mundorfs could be faulty?:confused:

5.Maybe recheck the Akkido pcb and other pcbs?

6. Email John Broskie?

Edit- I see the signal wires are shielded make sure they are grounded at one end only, preferbly at the rca terminal.
Reroute the twisted heater wire underneath the Akkido pcb.Is the spacer high enough?
regards.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.