• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

hot transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
in the miniblok 2 amp design Fred uses furnace controler transformers. i built two of these. on the one a transformer becomes much hotter than the one on the other. it is the second TX that gets hot, the first one sees the current from the filaments. i checked it with a series light bulb and it lights up as the caps load up and then goes dark.

why does the TX get hot on the one but not on the other. it's not so hot that i cant touch it though.

any explanations?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
in the miniblok 2 amp design Fred uses furnace controler transformers. i built two of these. on the one a transformer becomes much hotter than the one on the other. it is the second TX that gets hot, the first one sees the current from the filaments. i checked it with a series light bulb and it lights up as the caps load up and then goes dark.

why does the TX get hot on the one but not on the other. it's not so hot that i cant touch it though.

any explanations?

Measure load current and see if it is the same on both, otherwise some difference in the quality of one transformer vs the other is the likely culprit.

Note that it could be either of the transformers on the hotter running of the two chassis. Measure primary and secondary currents of the first transformer in each as well as B+ current - that should tell you which is responsible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.