• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

decisions fostex and the DIY-K12G budget system..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello, i am trying to piece together a stereo system in my tinny living room, this is what i came up with after much research online, my total budget is 500$ i set 50$aside for wood to build enclosures, that leaves 450$
looking for diy project style stuff, i was thinking a 16ls or ideally the
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]DIY-K12G[/FONT] kit from tube depot and a pair of standard 8's would do the trick. any better recommendations, ideas, tips..?

could i get some professional advice as iam a novice here, it will be much appreciated! thanks!

here is some of what i dug up and was considering.

Fostex
FE206En 184$/pr

Audio Nirvana 'Standard 8' ($128/pr)

Model 16LS Stereo Integrated Tube Amplifier 250$

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]DIY-K12G 190$[/FONT]

play station 1 console for head unit 60$

maybe constructing a tl or horn style enclosure.

Hi Trigger,
From your previous posts I don't think you'll have any bother building the K12G or the 16ls. The thing is once you start listening to it you'll probably want to know how it sounds with a nice pair of output transformers such as Edcors or Hammonds.Why not look in your junk box and see what parts you already have and cost the extra parts required to build from scratch. Schematics are available for the above kits.

There are also IMHO much better designs by members of this forum that you could build.

Brgds Bill

Trigger,

I think you could build a nice "El Cheapo" using Edcor model CXPP25-8-7.6K O/P trafos and not bust the budget. The amp yields 6 WPC in triode mode and 12 WPC in UL mode. A complete set of power "iron" can be ordered from Allied for surprisingly little money.

Attachments

• ElCheapo-23jun06-map.gif
    ElCheapo-23jun06-map.gif
    36.3 KB · Views: 154
magnovox amp pulls?

after some deep research on the diy -k12g i found it may be a bit buzzy and lacking in areas.

i want to assemble a point to point amp, though the entirety of my project may toss that out, i want to construct an amp, speakers, head unit, and fm radio, all on a 500 budget, with a 2year old son, college, ice fishin, and wrk this year i may be tight for project time.

rambling as usual, i am very compelled to build a simple84 or the el'chepo,
though with little time i am thinking of just trying to snag a magnovox pulled amp from ebay, for under a buck, preferably a magnovox using 6bq5 and 12ax7...

here is my question.. with the magnavox pulled amps, witch amp is better? the 6bq5's or the 6v6's ones..

and if i were to construct a simple84 ,,
how would the simple84 compare to a revamped magnovox amp?

i very much appreciate any advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.