Dummy newb needs help with Bogen VP17X - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2011, 07:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dummy newb needs help with Bogen VP17X

This was originally a portable turntable with a speaker built in to the lid. The turntable, case, and speaker are long gone but I have the amplifier and it's in fairly decent working condition. I seem to have found the most info about Bogen equipment here on this forum so I figured I would see if anyone could help. I can't seem to find a schematic for this amp. I am wondering if it might be similar to one of the smaller PA amps that was adapted for hifi use. My aim is to build this into a small practice amp for guitar. How can I estimate power output in order to choose speakers for the enclosure? What changes should I make so this more suited to guitar use? I am pretty sure all of the tubes are original, should I just replace them to begin with? It uses a 6SJ7 GT and 6SC7 GT in the preamp section and two 6V6 GT's in the power amp (I think). Other tubes are 5Y3 GT and 6SL7 GT. I would also like to add a standby switch and replace the two-blade power cord with a three-prong. Is the third lead just connected to the chassis?
I know very little about tube amplifiers and even less about this specific one. Thanks for your help and patience with a total newb!
Old 6th January 2011, 08:03 PM   #2
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

This is a very poor copy. If I find anything else I will post it!
You may be able to draw something from tracing the circuit and comparing it!
Is this the correct amp?

Bogen VP17 amp schematic

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 7th January 2011, 05:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you, M Gregg, for the link! I'm unable to tell if it's the same amp or not but it should at least be similar based on the model name. But the schematic is almost illegible.

Any help on my other questions?
Old 7th January 2011, 06:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Just thought this may be of help. This guy is converting a CHA33 and has added a few controls on post 14 of the thread in the link below. I am a bit pushed for time at the moment I will post some more info when I get chance. Others will be able to give more info.

Schematic for Bogen CHA33?

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 7th January 2011, 07:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Are you a member on music-electronics-forum.com? The member who posted the VP17 schematic, baddog, has that amplifier and posted a couple of pictures in another thread. As far as I can tell, my amplifier appears to be exactly the same except mine does not have the "tape out". Another user, wrathfuldeity, had posted something about adding a presence control and other updates to a VP17. Since I am not a member, I can't search based on a user name, only keywords. If you know these two members or could get more info from them, I would appreciate it. I may have to join and try to contact them. Thank you for continuing to follow this thread and helping me out!
Old 7th January 2011, 03:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sorry I am not a member of music-electronics-forum.com.

Just thought I would try and help you find some links that may be of use.

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 26th October 2011, 10:15 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I had to set this project aside for quite a while. I'm getting ready to start working on it again. I just thought I would bump this to the top to see if anyone else would like to chime in with some advice. Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!