• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dummy newb needs help with Bogen VP17X

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This was originally a portable turntable with a speaker built in to the lid. The turntable, case, and speaker are long gone but I have the amplifier and it's in fairly decent working condition. I seem to have found the most info about Bogen equipment here on this forum so I figured I would see if anyone could help. I can't seem to find a schematic for this amp. I am wondering if it might be similar to one of the smaller PA amps that was adapted for hifi use. My aim is to build this into a small practice amp for guitar. How can I estimate power output in order to choose speakers for the enclosure? What changes should I make so this more suited to guitar use? I am pretty sure all of the tubes are original, should I just replace them to begin with? It uses a 6SJ7 GT and 6SC7 GT in the preamp section and two 6V6 GT's in the power amp (I think). Other tubes are 5Y3 GT and 6SL7 GT. I would also like to add a standby switch and replace the two-blade power cord with a three-prong. Is the third lead just connected to the chassis?
I know very little about tube amplifiers and even less about this specific one. Thanks for your help and patience with a total newb!

Are you a member on music-electronics-forum.com? The member who posted the VP17 schematic, baddog, has that amplifier and posted a couple of pictures in another thread. As far as I can tell, my amplifier appears to be exactly the same except mine does not have the "tape out". Another user, wrathfuldeity, had posted something about adding a presence control and other updates to a VP17. Since I am not a member, I can't search based on a user name, only keywords. If you know these two members or could get more info from them, I would appreciate it. I may have to join and try to contact them. Thank you for continuing to follow this thread and helping me out!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.