• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

805 MonoBlock SE Amp Kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
316a, thanks for the opinions. There is nothing in the Chinese amp that we have any interest in, as most are cap coupled, and obviously the iron is the major impediment.

Yea, 20 watts is 'only' -3db down ... and 10w only -6db ... but hey some of us like the big tubes, high voltages and challenges

The design actually is real simple and basic - just like the old times (other than CCS). The chassis will provide the HS for the CCS that will be done on a PCB that we just might supply as an assembled unit to eliminate any real hassle (we have auto insertion and wave soldering equ in-house).

I am not reinventing the wheel, just making some minor refinements and packaging it up as a kit. Once some kits are out, my guess is that some of the guys will try their tweaks and make even more improvements. I don't think it will be that much of a money pit - that's what hobbies are. Can't wait to get the final specs & pricing from the domestic xfmr mfgs - that is where the magic (and costs) are.

We are not considering offering any real time support. A blog, FAQ, User Group and such. After all, these kits are geared and sold to serious hobbyist that know how to solder, follow simple diagrams, pictures, and directions.

BTW: I have spec's all power xfmrs to have dual pri for you guys that have 240v power.

316a, thanks for the opinions. There is nothing in the Chinese amp that we have any interest in, as most are cap coupled, and obviously the iron is the major impediment.

I find that unlikely , I have only seen 805 amps with DC coupled cathode follower drivers , or in the case of Shishido , an inverting interstage . There are various Mingda etc designs on the web which could be used as a reference . These use either a 2A3/300B or 6L6 variant DC coupled cathode follower driver . Have you seen the impedence a valve in A2 presents the driver ? That would make for a huge coupling cap and I would presume this would sound pretty awful . Also with cap coupling , how are you going to bias the 805 ? If you've seen some cap-coupled 805 designs I would be interested to see how it's done...

I am not reinventing the wheel, just making some minor refinements and packaging it up as a kit. Once some kits are out, my guess is that some of the guys will try their tweaks and make even more improvements. I don't think it will be that much of a money pit - that's what hobbies are. Can't wait to get the final specs & pricing from the domestic xfmr mfgs - that is where the magic (and costs) are.

I don't want to put you off but have you built such an amp yet ? I would strongly suggest building a prototype first . I am in no way an expert , but I build power amps all the time and struggled with A2 . I built several A2 amps with 3C24 , 15E and 826 but the big one used a HK54 output stage with 7236 cathode follower drivers and 809 input stage (a DHT with mu of 40) . It had low gain , requiring a linestage and even with feedback , the bass was poor in comparison to a 300B amp . It was huge , too big for a box and had two HT supplies , one AC and two DC filament supplies per channel . The HK54 had to have DC filaments , which took a lot of tweaking to find a decent sounding supply . To top things off I found that the output transformer has to be very special , what I had to hand was not up to scratch . Mids and top end was very good but I just couldn't live with the flabby bass . I would advise looking in to having the output transformer wound with a cathode feedback winding and run the rest of the amp open loop . In terms of price Sowter quoted in excess of £280 per piece for what I wanted . Alternatively try plate to grid feedback with a standard transformer

We are not considering offering any real time support. A blog, FAQ, User Group and such. After all, these kits are geared and sold to serious hobbyist that know how to solder, follow simple diagrams, pictures, and directions.

...rather you than me ;) It's unlikely you'll be able to tell if the buyers are experienced or not , have a look at some of the kit builders' forums such as Bottlehead and you'll see what I mean . Good luck !

316A

316a, you are not putting me off. Although I have not designed nor built any valve gear for quite a long time, by no way are we newbies. With dozens of products out there in commercial use, we are aware of the problems and pit falls of design & production. Of course we are doing a proto - actually a testbed as we call it. As I stated earlier, it will allow easy testing and modifications of mainly the iron. Once we are satisfied with the design, then we will have the chassis done and final BOM, manual, and pre-builds by a couple guys to catch any issues. Then the kit of parts would be ready. Although a valve product is 'new' to us, the design plan has been time proven here many times.

I've looked at the Ming Da 805 mono blocks (MC3008). They cap couple from the 12AX7 to the 12AU7, then cap coupled to the 300b, then they direct couple the 300b to the 805. Straight DC heating of the valves by what looks like 25amp std bridges ... Personally I just don't like their design. Actually from the pix that I've seen, I don't like their assembly methods either, sloppy, too many parts, and looks like a semi-experienced hobbyist did it. They are supposed to be a commercial product? Maybe I saw old pix ...

We are planning to use the Shishido design with inverting interstage. Valve line up is 12AT7 (or 12AU7) direct coupled to a 6L6, then IITC interstage coupled to the 805. My domestic xfmr suppliers assure me that what they turn out is ex-Tango quality but at very reasonable cost. They still need to prove that to me, but I believe they will - as they have been doing so for decades. They will be customize for us.

In the coming week or so, I'll get around to posting the working sch /w changes as we go. Shishido was a very talented designer - simplistic to the max. I love looking at a clean finished product and wonder how something with so minimal parts can function so nicely ... then as you did deeper, you realize what elegance is!

Real easy to tell if a buyer has experience or not. The question asked? ... what kind of a soldering station do you have? I am sure that some might still sneak through, then they will have a boat anchor. The proper warning and such will be there. We are not attempting to be a 'Heath Kit' - just a supplier of a high quality kit of parts at an affordable price. My guess is if the product is well received, there might be a cottage industry for some of you guys to build for those that are not experienced ... or to rebuild the ones that got through the test!

Sir,

I wanted to know, why most of the 805 blocks I see range 20-40w but the Antique Sound Lab Explorer is putting out 50w. From poking around the internet it looks like 50w is the max a 805 can do. So I'm curious why you are aiming for 22w with an 805 to get the same as a 845 in your kit? I don't know much of anything about this stuff other then it seems like a good time to try kit building.

We are planning to use the Shishido design with inverting interstage. Valve line up is 12AT7 (or 12AU7) direct coupled to a 6L6, then IITC interstage coupled to the 805. My domestic xfmr suppliers assure me that what they turn out is ex-Tango quality but at very reasonable cost. They still need to prove that to me, but I believe they will - as they have been doing so for decades. They will be customize for us.!

The IIT is a tall order , I don't think you understand just how difficult these are to manufacture . Not only are the Tango's 1:0.8 in terms of turns ratio , which rules out wide bandwidth bifilar windings , but the secondary current offsets the primary current . My understanding in terms of winding geometry that these are very different to a standard interstage and also have a reduced gap . Whatever you will have wound will probably not have sufficient HF bandwidth for purpose . Probably better off using a DC coupled cathode follower or driving the cathode of the 805 using a standard IT

cheers

316A

Thanks TT & 316a. I am not going to design the transformers, the transformer guys are. I want to pick up a couple of S-2014 (I think they changed P/N) for references to check the others by. Most likely, I'll also pick up their outputs. I have EI and P cores in the works. The P core looks very promising - if they work as spec'd wow ...

TT, did you order from EIFL? Either the S-2014 is a special, or they changes the P/N. What OT did you order as the 10887 is long gone ...

Anyway, we are on a roll.

Thanks jazbo8.

We have settled on the sch that uses a 12AU7 (or 12AT7) direct coupled to a 6L6GC then IIT to the 805. We have a couple of different transformer mfg on the magnetics and are hopeful to have some samples in the coming weeks. It is a slow process. We are making good headway. Stay posted as we are continuing the process and will be looking for more input into other concepts and ideas that we are working on with this design.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Thanks jazbo8.

We have settled on the sch that uses a 12AU7 (or 12AT7) direct coupled to a 6L6GC then IIT to the 805. We have a couple of different transformer mfg on the magnetics and are hopeful to have some samples in the coming weeks. It is a slow process. We are making good headway. Stay posted as we are continuing the process and will be looking for more input into other concepts and ideas that we are working on with this design.

Bumping an old thread, whatever happened to the 805 SE kit?

Hi jazbo8

Finally we have a sweet design on all the transformers! I should have some in house mid-March. Very, very slow process. After a false start and many wasted months with an Indian mfg, we found and identified the the best of China. Not too many mfg that actually can make these at an affordable price. Lots of back and forth. Thankfully I have a good contact in China.

What I can tell you is the interstage and output xfmrs are 'C' core and so sweet. We have made some tweaks in the design to expand and flatten even more. Freq response of the ITT is like +/- 0.5dbm 8Hz-100Khz. OTP not quite so high on the ends. Power xfmrs are 'R' core. It will be a few months after we receive them until we have some kits together.

All teflon sockets, film caps in the power supply, CC for the 805 heater. Input either balanced or single ended. Can't tell you much more ...

ITT is like +/- 0.5dbm 8Hz-100Khz.!!!
I look forward to see what a wonderful made isthat?they broke the Tango records!

yep ... although Tango was nicely designed, I don't think they used a C core, nor had the low cost labor to make such a labor intensive design without busting the bank. Our IIT is much larger than the typical Tango and other units ... obviously needed for the the low end.

I have been lurking for a while. As a recovering audiophile from the past, I am convinced that I want to do a monoblock based upon the 805 to restart my interest. Have been designing and mfg all sorts of electronics for several decades, so experience I have plenty of.

With contacts and suppliers in Taiwan, HK, China, & the US, for just about everything, I have no real issue of putting it together other than if I should and of what design / features.

The production side of me sez, if I'm going to do 2x units, why not do 30x or so to start. The design that I am leaning to is based upon Bauanleitung fuer einen 805-Verstaerker, von Ronald Koridon - really like the concept - but in monoblocks. Thinking of canning the B+ silicone in favor of valve rectifier.

The reason for the thread is to get some idea if there is any interest in the future kit. No, I don't know the price yet - as it is only in planning, but I am sure it will not be cheap - but will be reasonable. The iron is very pricey as you guys know. My guess it might be 4-6 months until ready to ship.

I just acquired a pair of Hytron 805. So if you can offer this in kit form or sans tubes, I'd be interested in hearing further.

Right now I am working with some well known and not so well known trany mfg to get some ideas. It is really interesting, one of my 'normal' domestic suppliers used to source the Acrosound back in the day ...

Open to all suggestions and patter - perhaps it will get all of us that are interested in this style of amp an easier and better way to put it together - or on the other hand, it might kill the project!

I had a China made 845 SE amp called Line Magnetic LM219IA. It just struck me how smooth and yet powerful this one sounded. But since there are too many SE amps of 845/805/211 designs, won't it be more attractive to the general audiophile if a PP 805 is produced and offered for limited sale?

Last edited:
I Built 805 mono blocks 750 volts, Se amp; using a 3.5K sowter out put transformer, driven by a 6BL7 cathode follower and 12HG7 pentode. The 805 works very well push pull too; I prefer PP to SE even though i use 100db horns. The original were made with Ex military power transformers and chokes and separate power supplies. I hope to rebuild as mono blocks using C core power transformers.
Phil

My GE JAN CRC 805 came to me at US$4/pair on ePay. This was the seocnd best deal I got there. The top one was a pria of NOS 6973 for 0.99 Yep.

Yea I know, at 990 VDC, it is a one way ticket to tube power heaven at one touch! I tried 330 and 400 VDC, once each! I won't try the 805 that way, tho'.

So I am getting restless with the following items lying around:

1. 2 military trannies
920-0-920 125 ma
510-0-510 110 ma
5V - 4A
6.3V 5.5 A

2. pair of 805 GE JAN CRC

3. a lot of 6SN7 and 12SN7

4. a lot of 6CG7

5. a lot of pentode 6BH6

6. a few paris of 5876

7. many quads of 6973/6CZ5/6CM6/6DT5/6EM5

8. SE OPT: One Electron UBT-3

I don't wanna try the UBT -3 OPT coz it is only rated at 30W. As I said, I think I would like PP for more power. I think a custom design is necessary with the spare items above to make one pair of PP mono's. Anyway, I now know that the 805 is even more powerful than the 845. The 805 can run 1.5k VDC, and heat dissipation of 125 Watts versus 100 W of the 845. I think a PP 805 is probably a gem to modern speakers, at least to my Celestion SL700, at 82.5 dB @ 1 Watt SPL. I have seen some schematics running it at 990VDC or so, extracting 40-45 Watts per channel from a SE design. I hope 100 WPC is achievable from PP.

I just would like to know if someone can point me to a practical schematic. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.