• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pre-amp using Hammond 372FX (300-0-300, 5, 6,3) - suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I've just completed a LM3886 amp (one LM3886/channel), which I think sound really good. I now want to add a tube pre amp based on what I have available in my garage...

I've got:

Hammond 372FX (300-0-300V, 5V, 6,3V)
Hammond Choke 7h/150mA
Trannie 2x2,5V @ 5A
Some tubes etc....

Do any of you have a suggestion what I might build using the (one or more) above irons? I'm not an electronics wizard, so I would prefer to look at a schematic when I build it :eek:

Cheers,
Fredrik
Fredrik

Hi Fredrik :)

I've just embarked on a valve pre-amp project myself. The circuit I plan to build can be found here. It's based on the EF86 pentode, though the author recommends using an EF80S. His modified schematic, including a suggested component layout, can be found here. It doesn't call for as high a B+ as your transformer can provide, but you can drop the B+ with some resistor/capacitor filtering.

Depending on what valves you have, you might find some of the projects here a good source of inspiration too. DIY Vacuum Tube (Valve) Amplifier Projects.

Paul.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.