• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

RCA Line Input Shielding Technique Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is the proposed connection scheme, but I think I am creating an error here.

I have isolated RCA jacks for the amp input, then a 10KΩ log pot, then the driver board for the power amp.

The question is how to ground the shield. The schematic shows a single conductor with shield running from the input, to the pots, and then to the driver board. However, I am not sure if this is correct technique.

Suggestions?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

how does the amp see a ground reference for the input if the shield side of the input floats?
The confusion, IICU, is because you are using the same conductor for both signal ground and shield. If you use a cable which has two conductors + a shield, then you can separate both functions (treating signal hot and signal ground as equals) and connect the shield in whichever way you like, e.g., only at the RCA as was suggested.

However, in your case where the input jacks are isolated from the chassis, I think your proposed solution will work too.

The confusion, IICU, is because you are using the same conductor for both signal ground and shield. If you use a cable which has two conductors + a shield, then you can separate both functions (treating signal hot and signal ground as equals) and connect the shield in whichever way you like, e.g., only at the RCA as was suggested.

However, in your case where the input jacks are isolated from the chassis, I think your proposed solution will work too.

Thanks. Then the better way to do this is with 2 conductor and shield:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.