• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

where to start? 2 channel SS/tube bass preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, ladies and guys,

I'm new to this forum (and to this field of expertise - please have mercy). BUT - I really, really, really want to build myself a decent bass guitar preamp.

There are a lot of those DIY projects hanging around like the infamous Alembic F-2B or those excellent sound.com.au and viva analog gadgets that could make a bass player very happy - at least I suppose so.

But I'm like dorothy in the kansas woods - I know what I want but there's just so many trees here.

So - this is my idea:

• 2 channels: channel 1 Solid State (clean), channel 2 tube (being able to boost it, maybe even have some overdrive reserve for those jack bruce thingys)
• half parametric EQ: LOW (shelving), LOMID (Freq & Gain), HIMID (Freq & Gain), HI (shelving).
Like this one: http://www.someinfos.de/webseite_preamp/default.htm (careful: german site. but you'll get the idea)
• Direct out to soundcard/mixer AFTER EQ
• Ultra low noise design

My budget is around 600 USD.

What do you think?

I'm absolutely n00b here, but at least I can solder quite well. I got support when it comes to PCB manufacturing and I'm able to build decently sounding cabinets, having a close friend who does that regularly.

Any links, thoughts, thumb-ups etc. very much appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.