• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Lafayette amp arcing Rectifier problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm rebuilding a old lafayette la75 and changed all the capacitors and tubes but i got a small problem on the rectifier now. On a cold startup i hear a bit of a Cracle but when i turn it off, an try a hot start, it will arc in the rectifier ( 6ca4 ). I already changed the power tubes, and the rectifier.. SO i dont think thats the problem... Does anyone have any suggestions?? Does a wrong bias can couse this problem?? I dont think so but just to be sure..
Thanks for all the help.. And here is the scematic:
http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/download/file.php?id=2018&t=1

I'm rebuilding a old lafayette la75 and changed all the capacitors and tubes but i got a small problem on the rectifier now. On a cold startup i hear a bit of a Cracle but when i turn it off, an try a hot start, it will arc in the rectifier ( 6ca4 ). I already changed the power tubes, and the rectifier.. SO i dont think thats the problem... Does anyone have any suggestions?? Does a wrong bias can couse this problem?? I dont think so but just to be sure..
Thanks for all the help.. And here is the scematic:
http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/download/file.php?id=2018&t=1

Did you replace the power supply caps with the exact values, or did you increase any of them?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hot starts are a no no with many tube rectifiers, you should wait at least one to two minutes before turning the unit back on. Lower forward drop types like the 6CA4 and 5AR4 will usually arc when hot if the power is cycled quickly. Do this a few times and you will have a cathode to plate short (one or the other plate) in the rectifier.

You may place a UF4007 or 1N4007 in series with each plate lead if this is likely to be an issue in use. This should reduce the incidence of arcing.

The first (input) cap in the supply should not exceed the recommended maximum capacitance value for the tube type used.

Last edited:
Did you set your bias to minimum? Like 20to20 said, did you use the same size cap? Also did you check/replace the series resistors fromthe PT to rectifier?

The bias is fixed and stock... Should i change this?? whats the best way to check is.. I have a bias master fot my 6l6's and el34's...But nothing for El84. is it enough to mesure across the cathode resistor?
i didnt checked the series resistors.. can i just do that with the amp turned off?? I did use the same cap size !

Hot starts are a no no with many tube rectifiers, you should wait at least one to two minutes before turning the unit back on. Lower forward drop types like the 6CA4 and 5AR4 will usually arc when hot if the power is cycled quickly. Do this a few times and you will have a cathode to plate short (one or the other plate) in the rectifier.

You may place a UF4007 or 1N4007 in series with each plate lead if this is likely to be an issue in use. This should reduce the incidence of arcing.

The first (input) cap in the supply should not exceed the recommended maximum capacitance value for the tube type used.
I will place the 1n4007 within a few hour to try it when i'm home.

I just tried the diodes...And ofcourse i had to try to hot start is (sorry kevinkr) .....No problem at all !!!!! But it is good to know its not made for it!! So i wont make a habit of it . In the meanwhile i found some really bad soldered wires, so it was worth the efford.. Just spend an other 4 hours of trial and error for some other problems but i guess thats the way to learn it. Now the next problem, Does anyone has an idea what to say to my girlfrind in the morning when she is asking why i was so late in bed...AGAIN!! :D..Just kidding ;) thnx all for the help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.