• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N3P-EV measured Ia/Va/Vg curves

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Merry Xmas all.
I thought I would have a play with 6N3P-EV dual triode on the Avo Mk3 tester and graph the results. There seems to be wildly varying curves for these tubes on the net, most showing extreme non-linearity which was not borne out by audible testing. What do you guys think of the linearity?

The Vg figures are RMS values as measured on a scope as the Avo tester uses pseudo-AC (half-wave rectified unfiltered) for its supplies.
P.S. Sorry about the hand sketch graph, I don't have a plotter for this. :rolleyes:

Gary

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx178/rotaspec/Amplifiers/6N3P-EV_Avo3_curves.jpg

I only tested a couple 6N3Ps, but they all seemed to bias up the same.

In addition, the distortion (at least with a current source in the anode and IR LED in the Cathode) was low as indicted by low harmonic distortion.

Are you using 6N3P or 6N3P-E tubes?

I only tested a couple 6N3Ps, but they all seemed to bias up the same.

In addition, the distortion (at least with a current source in the anode and IR LED in the Cathode) was low as indicted by low harmonic distortion.

Are you using 6N3P or 6N3P-E tubes?

I am using 6N3P-EV. I have tried the LED bias with good results, but have yet to get around to adding a CCS on the anode side.
I thought I would just try some characteristic measurements with a tester that allows stepping the voltages. I have done the same for 6N1P-EV and 6N2P-EV as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2154.JPG
    IMG_2154.JPG
    441.8 KB · Views: 323
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.