Which 845 amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2010, 03:06 PM   #1
ksporry is offline ksporry  China
diyAudio Member

Default Which 845 amp?

Guys,

It's been a long time, but I'm now in China, and work is keeping me rather occupied (75 hrs per week is normal. 40 hours per day, and yes that's not a typo, is considered busy but not abnormal...).
Anyway, I'm chancing the purchase of an 845 powered amp.
I got a couple of choices and I have included the links for each:

Yarland Pro-845:
雅燃2010新款 PRO845 UPGRADED电子管放大器 全新升级-淘宝网
This one I think some people are familiar with. This one can be ordered with 845's, 211's, or 805's? Can someone tell me what the difference is (practically speaking)? In addition, it is driven by 2x 6N8P(SHUGUANG), 1x 12AX7(FULL MUSIC), and 1x 5Z4P tube.

YiYun 845:
艺韵845电子管合并功放胆机-淘宝网
No idea how well this one works. It runs on 2x 845's, 2x OTK6H1's, 2x 6J4P's, and 1x 5Z4P tube. The power rating is stated at 22W. Seems a bit high compared to the Yarland. Perhaps they are overdriven thus tubes last less long and maybe the transformers get hotter?

211X2:
211X2电子管合并式功放胆机-淘宝网
Same tubes as the YiYun 845, except it uses 211's instead of 845's.

Would there be a specific reason to go for 845's or for 211's? I had the impression they were pretty much the same.

If someone knows any of these and can give me some advice or explanation on either, that would be greatly appreciated.
Personally I'd be inclined to go for Yarland, not knowing what the others are like, and considering it's a bit more expensive (and therefore hopefully also better, though this last bit is not always true...)

EDIT: I noticed the characters may look a little strange. This is because it's a chinese website. The website is taobao (www.taobao.com) and can be considered an equivalent to eBay (except there are no actual bids that I noticed so far). It may be an interesting website to look for chinese made audio stuff. Mind you, you need to be able to type chinese or know model numbers, as it doesn't accept many english terms...

Last edited by ksporry; 28th December 2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 28th December 2010, 03:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

With 40h/day there wont be much time for listening to music, but if you do manage to squeese some time in do it with the 211X2

Cheers
Old 28th December 2010, 03:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

heheh, yes, I know. I'm not gonna let that happen again.
So what you think is the benefit of the 211X2 over the other ones?
Old 28th December 2010, 04:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The question itself is rather subjective, it磗 like asking someone what磗 their favorite Champagne brand.

Well I honestly don磘 know which one to choose because I havn磘 heard them. Do you have the possibility to listen to them and compare? I would take a reference CD and listen to them and make my mind up after.

Do you listen to rock or voices, percussion or string music?

845 rock/percussion, 211 string/voice.....generally

Cheers
Old 28th December 2010, 04:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks,
yes, I agree, can't compare apples with pears. It was more from a general point of view, maybe its less likely to screw up a 211 design, or maybe someone would have experienced some of these...
I doubt I'll be able to test drive them, unless someone here in Shanghai has them in stock.

My music repertoire is mostly Jazz and Blues and whatever is closely related. I listen a lot of Stevie Ray Vaughan, but also some sample records from NAIM, which usually don't contain classical, or at least not much anyway.
Old 28th December 2010, 04:47 PM   #6
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm will Ksporry, I've not heard any of them so I can't comment, but, I do like the layout of the first one. The others look too stuffed and those tubes do get hot. I personally like the sound of the 845 over the 211 but not much. they are very similar, to me, sounding.
Old 28th December 2010, 05:06 PM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I suspect there is a lot of hifi activity in the Shanghai area, you just need to find it. I think since you are there it would be preferable to find a place where you can listen and buy in person. Reduces risk considerably.

Honestly I don't recognize any of these brands other than Yarland with which I have no direct experience, and you might also want to consider Antique Sound Labs out of Hong Kong as well. (Which I do know)

I'd also pass on the Mr. Liang stuff, and although it looks great the designs themselves leave a lot to be desired IMHO..

The first unit certainly at first glance appears to be a better thought out design - as has been pointed out these tubes run quite hot.

FWIW the 211 and 845 do sound different, and from a theoretical standpoint the 845 has better linearity. To be perfectly honest neither of these are my favorites and I would recommend looking at 300B amps as well unless you absolutely need the higher power. I'm also wondering about the long term supply of affordable 211 and 845 - if you need this sort of power the Russian GM70 is probably a better bet.

Something else to keep in mind is that the mains voltage in China is 220V, and EU harmonized is 230V, and I've heard 240V is not too unusual in some parts of the UK. You may need a step down transformer in the UK to use this amp.

Given the mixed reviews on the quality of Chinese amps with some being excellent, and others not nearly so I think it pays to see and listen in person. (Yeah, I know I sound like a broken record..) Good luck!

Edit: One other thought depending on the time available would be to have the guys at Twin Audio build you something for China delivery if you are going to be there for a while. They make very, very good stuff, and their designs are OK too. (I've used their OPTS - excellent for the money, and like their design approach) And you can contact them directly from diyaudio. Best of all they can probably wind you a power transformer suitable for both 220V and 240V operation if you tell them that's what you want. Here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twin-audio/

Last edited by kevinkr; 28th December 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 28th December 2010, 07:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to gabrielbecheanu Send a message via Yahoo to gabrielbecheanu
Here you can find some words about a few amplifiers Made in China
amplifiers vacuum tube systems hi-fi hihighend 6c33c triode SET OTL's

I listen one time an 845 SE amplifier made by Unison Research Absolute 845 Unison Research with a pair of German Physiks German Physiks - High End Technology Loudspeaker Manufactur - DDD Driver - THE BORDERLAND MK IV
i don`t know which one give that sound the amplifier or the speakers but the sound was unbelievable.
After that i decide to make a GM70 SE amplifier maybe with two tubes in parallel
A few years agoo i listen an amplifier made by Yarlan and i can say that for that money was OK it was an EL34 SE.
Good luck
Old 29th December 2010, 03:37 AM   #9
THD+N is offline THD+N  United States
diyAudio Member

Of the choices you listed I would go with the Yarland. I have the slightly older FV-66S 845 amp and and FV-35A 2A3 amp and they seem to be built well. I also have two Music Angel amps, but the Yarlands are built better.

If you are a tinkerer, the Yarlands also lend themselves to be upgraded due to their design with little trouble. My FV-66S was stated as being 22 Watts, but it was more like 15 Watts. After I modified the driver circuit I am getting about 19 Watts now.

I also have a pair of 211 mono blocks I built and the 211 / 845 do sound different, but you will have to decide which you prefer.

Yarland FV-66S Tube Amplifier 230V version
Old 29th December 2010, 03:56 AM   #10
THD+N is offline THD+N  United States
diyAudio Member

To answer another one of your questions regarding the 12AX7... if you plan on driving the amp directly from the source, then you may need all the gain the amp has (probably too much as it is).

If you are going to use a preamp with the 845, then you could modify the input circuitry (for less gain and noise) with say a 12AT7 and reconfigure a few resistors.

Hide this!Advertise here!