• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SOHA v2 cost

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, I had to make a new thread because I didn't see any answering this. I had seen people say to make the SOHA v2 cost about 50 usd. I can't for the life of me find it in parts for less than 132 not including a case. Can someone please tell me if I'm missing something here?

Thanks! And, if it is that expensive, the YAHA is supposed to be a lot cheaper, is it really as cheap as others have said (in a similar case) or not?

I wanna go into DIY audio but this whole say it's one price but cannot find it for that price thing is getting annoying. Thanks for any help!

I'm not familiar with the SOHA, but I've seen the same problem with cost estimates on other projects.
Thoughts:
Does the estimate refer to a breadboarded amp or a cased, finished product?
Some folks have a well-stocked 'junk box' and 'spares box'.
Also, if you can diy the case/knobs it reduces the cost.

John

concur.

Cost depends hugely on what you have in your stash already. transformers and tubes especially are going to deal to the bottom line. A half-way decent looking case is $100 either in cash or time - there is no way around that.

Take the parts cost for the circuit and multiply it by around 3 to get the project cost. This disregards the cost of reasonable test equipment.

If you got into DIY to save money, you rang the wrong bell.

not in it to really save money, just want to see things that are accurately portrayed. I've found the soha for about 140USD just I can't understand where they got the 50 from and that was the question. I'm on a tight budget now, saw what appeared to be a killer amp, and looked into it and that's what I found. Am I wrong?

no you are not wrong. And if you are feeling gipped, try living in the southern hemisphere...

You need to learn the fine arts of delayed gratification and hoarding. A subtle combination of the two will lower your costs by 50%.

Of course, it extends your time lines by 4000% and your floor space requirements logrythmicly.

Last edited:
Cost me about $200 for a pretty basic build including a pair of Amperex 8416 tubes. And Ky40 coupling caps.
Good amp but thinking about selling as I have too many headphone amps

sohaII.jpg

...sounds familiar to me :D

And to the thread originator: where'd you get that 50$ number from...?
Nowhere never can you build a SOHA II for that money... see regal. My SOHA I did cost me more to build.

Of course I cannot find the thread now, but it's one as a large roundup of various amplifiers that included cost. I have seen people even say 70 dollars to make one, which would be fine, but I still can't find parts that cheap. Oh well, no SOHA for this starving student :(

I think a lot of folks on the 'net just guess at how much a project cost them, and they don't keep accurate track of things, and don't add up the receipts. I think any project cost mentioned on an internet forum should be 'taken with a pinch of salt'.

Good advice from Stixx - a good opportunity for a long term project.... just a few pounds / euro / dollars every month soon add up, and then you find you have everything!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.