adapting 2 SE boards for a PP driver stage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2010, 04:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default adapting 2 SE boards for a PP driver stage

I want to adapt these SE boards for use as a driver stage for a balanced PP power amp. XLR input for the balanced run and Probally just use an imput transformer to act a a phase inverter for non balanced runs.. I have plenty of power tubes, plenty of output transformers, plenty of power transformers. Have some good sized chasis to do mono blocks. the drive ability of this board, should easily drive 8 to 12 power tubes.

anyone done this before that can offer some insight?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Epi1.gif (66.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Epiphone _Valve_Junior.jpg (72.6 KB, 79 views)
Old 27th December 2010, 05:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

these look like guitar amps - yes?

Too late - looked it up. Answer - yes. These are guitar amps.

Are you wanting to do hi fi from these?
Old 29th December 2010, 01:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
these look like guitar amps - yes?

Too late - looked it up. Answer - yes. These are guitar amps.

Are you wanting to do hi fi from these?
Thanks for the valid question.

I have Marshall, Peavey, Carvin, guitar amps, and Dynaco, Manley, Shanling, and antique sound USA house amps. I have owned Mcintosh MC2000's, MC2105's, MC275's, Cary CAD-MB50's, etc. My experience is that a good "guitar" or band PA amp, will sound just as good as a good "house " amp.

On these boards. I might change the value of C1 and C2, since I will be using 160 watt transformers that can do 20hz - 20khz. I think on this board, c1 and c2 were sized to limit bandwidth to 5 watt fly wieght transformers.

What am I doing. I want to reverse engineer an amp like the the C#$@ V12 which uses SE driver boards as a driver stage. The mono version has 12 EL34's, 2 EL84's (as drivers) and at lease 2 12ax7's. So my thought is if I go balanced end to end, and rely on the XLR connection for phase inverting, I'd be half way there. For unblanced connections I could put in an input transformer to invert one leg of the signal.

Last edited by speakerfritz; 29th December 2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 29th December 2010, 02:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

so you don't need huge gain then. Probably one too many gain stages in these EXCEPT if you use the EL84 in cathode follower mode.

Perhaps single-ended gain 1st stage to single-ended gain 2nd stage to EL84 CF stage to EL34s... (each phase)

Hide this!Advertise here!