Correct Path: Diodes Or Rectifier Tube? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2010, 04:53 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

Most of all ENJOY the process!

Other things to look into:

LTSpice
Tube Cad
Glass Ware's website

I recommend looking at building a commonly built simple SET or PP amp. Try to source parts as close to the original schematic as possible but you can deviate as you learn.

For best "satisfaction" keep it simple, a williamson style PP amp or an IDHT SET would work nice. I am not sure of where you are headed but a quick post with your ideas, expected results and what "on hand" parts you have will certainly garner you some informative replies, SY and ELI particularly can offer help.

Use google and look for amp schematics using your choice of output tubes.

IE: "6V6 Push pull amp schematic"
Old 31st December 2010, 04:58 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Koster View Post
The lack of consensus on basic facts is precisely the reason for seeking your own learning. There is even a certain consensus in audio circles around some ideas that are provably incorrect (using science).

People like to sound knowledgable and will often repeat things they have heard. The internet is very effective at promoting this behavior. Often this seems like a genuine attempt to be helpful, but ultimately if people would just stick to their own deep knowledge there would be a lot less confusion.

Many manufacturers of "modern" tube gear didn't grow up with tubes and have acquired the knowledge second hand. I think this is where ridiculous designs like cap input 470 uF filters on tube rectifiers come from. All you need to do is read the %&$^ datasheet!

A lot of DIY builders don't care about the real science behind it either and I suspect many "want to believe" in the magic. It can be a lot of fun and what's the harm as long as no one gets electrocuted

So I contend that this forum and others like it are not effective venues for real learning to take place. Generally one needs to go back to material written when facts mattered in vacuum tube design (through about 1970) and learn that material first, thus forming a factual basis from which to evaluate the "new knowledge".

Happy new year!

Michael
DITTO!!!

EXACTLY why I suggest the "older info" like Morgan Jones and RCA Tube manuals. Also, look at schematics of long obsolete items to see what was done while tubes were the "state of the art".

I am only 40 years old and most of the stuff I have learned from in this hobby has been obsolete before I was born.

What Michael says is true, just because XYZ company uses HUGE input caps does not mean it is correct, these "designers" are simply regurgating something that pretty much has been done blindly.

"Back in the day", large companies were spending huge amounts of money time and effort to research and test what they designed. That is where the DATA SHEETS come from, (Not theory or conjecture) but real world testing. USE THE DARN DATA SHEETS!
Old 31st December 2010, 07:54 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Rest assured you're not alone. "Respected" manufacturers have used 300uF even 1000uF immediately after the rectifying tube.
Yes, they have. They were scamming a largely atechnological public which doesn't understand that having to replace the 5U4s or 5Y3s every six months or so is abnormal. It also didn't make much difference when every pharmacy, green grocer, five-and-dime, etc, all had those "test 'em yourself" set-ups, and you could easily get another 5Y3 for a couple of bucks or less.

These days, they're not so easy to come by, and we'd like to get some usage out of them. You also don't want to over stress power xfmrs that weren't designed with such excessive Isurge in mind either.

Build as cheaply as possible, sell low, and make up the difference on volume was as operative back then as it is today.
Old 31st December 2010, 09:53 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Add to that : In the "old days" there was also the same "planned obsolesence" as today. Make em wear out quick and they will buy another.
Old 31st December 2010, 11:01 PM   #75
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Batteries.

Hide this!Advertise here!