• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cleaning Edison Price posts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know how to clean Edison Price unplated copper posts? I used to use a refrigerant with 3% HCl, and it did the job. I can't get it any more, and every cleaner I've tried since (vinegar, vinegar salt past, Lysol bowl cleaner, etc) cleans nicely, but in a few weeks corrosion returns with a vengeance. With my old cleaner, the posts would just darken with time. Now they get heavy deposits of blue salt. It's as if the post is breaking down chemically, maybe from using that Lysol stuff, which is 7% HCl. Any ideas?

Try a cream type cleaner that's intended for use on Copper cookware. After carefully removing the residue, follow with either 91% or anhydrous isopropanol. Stay away from the corrosive stuff.

Hydrochloric acid can't attack elemental Copper, but it does react with the oxides and carbonates that form on an uncoated surface.

Does anyone know how to clean Edison Price unplated copper posts? With my old cleaner, the posts would just darken with time. Now they get heavy deposits of blue salt. It's as if the post is breaking down chemically, maybe from using that Lysol stuff, which is 7% HCl. Any ideas?
That blue colored salt is not good. It's cuperic chloride formed by the acidic cleaner you used. Have you tried Tarn-X. Its a silver & copper cleaner that works extremely well and is supposed to retard tarnish. And there is also something called Ellanar Silver Polish. A thick pink liquid which also contains a tarnish retardent that works on copper too. Both of these should be easy to find locally. Also "Google" Ellanar Silver Polish for more info.

OT: Isn't it CuSO4 + 5 H2O that is blue ? I don't think chloride is blue in color.
Always a knit-picker in the crowd. Trombone's last cleaner contained HCi. That's hydrogen chloride, not sulfide. Being not a chemist by trade, I didn't realize that CuCl2 is brown at first and then turns blue-green when moisture is absorbed. (The way most of us see it.) Maybe later this evening I'll give myself a couple of lashes for not being exactly precise and perfect. :D

Copper(II) chloride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does anyone know how to clean Edison Price unplated copper posts? I used to use a refrigerant with 3% HCl, and it did the job. I can't get it any more, and every cleaner I've tried since (vinegar, vinegar salt past, Lysol bowl cleaner, etc) cleans nicely, but in a few weeks corrosion returns with a vengeance. With my old cleaner, the posts would just darken with time. Now they get heavy deposits of blue salt. It's as if the post is breaking down chemically, maybe from using that Lysol stuff, which is 7% HCl. Any ideas?

:D CLR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.