SIE chokes -- how much current - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2003, 09:54 PM   #51
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
I'll be sure to leave my wife written instructions to send you my remains
I almost choked reading that...
Old 24th July 2003, 04:39 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

OK, I tried the screwdriver thing, and I'm still alive to report on it. I think the power transformer is buzzing more than the choke, but the choke seems to be buzzing a bit too. My filament transformers are under the hood, and I didn't try the screwdriver thing on those. Maybe this weekend.

Should I just raise the iron on rubber grommets and use metal washers/rings for the grounding? I'm assuming that the chassis is contributing to the audibility of the buzz.
Old 24th July 2003, 04:46 PM   #53
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If she saw me listening to my amp with a stethoscope, that would probably be the last straw.
Hi Saurav,

So did you try the bleeder resistor?

Guess you are just afraid to work on you amp, in case your wife catches you!!!!

Cheers,
Bas
Old 24th July 2003, 04:56 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Not yet. Last night was trivia night at the local Irish pub, and that always takes precedence I'll probably do some work on the amp this weekend, there are a few other things I want to change.
Old 24th July 2003, 06:16 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Saurav
Should I just raise the iron on rubber grommets and use metal washers/rings for the grounding? I'm assuming that the chassis is contributing to the audibility of the buzz.
Yes, above and below the chassis usually works best. Also, try running a wire to each of the choke and transformer chassis to the amp chassis earth. Sometimes makes a difference. I do it out of habit now.
Old 25th July 2003, 04:40 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

OK, I made some changes last night. Loosening up some mounting screws definitely identified the PS transformer as the buzzer, and not the choke. The choke is vibrating slightly because I can just about feel it, but I can't hear it without the screwdriver. I tried moving the bleeder, and it didn't make any noticable difference, probably because my amp is drawing enough current through the choke as is. Anyway, I mounted the PS transformer on grommets, making sure that I still had continuity between the frame and the chassis (scraped off paint, used metal washers). Things seem a lot quieter now.

I also took the advice someone had given me earlier and added a pot to the voltage divider for the 6SL7 heater. Now the heater voltage is nicely centered between the two cathodes, instead of being at the limit for one of the cathodes. I also added the caps from B+ to the 2A3 cathodes, and changed the output transformer to 5K (again based on someone's advice here). And after all that, I listened for a couple of songs and then went off to play video games. So it sounds better, but I'll have to listen some more

Thanks for all the help and advice. The regulated DC 2A3 filaments are next up on my lest.

Hide this!Advertise here!