Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

SE 6CB5A amp with 6N7 driver
SE 6CB5A amp with 6N7 driver
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2014, 06:28 AM   #71
Vinylsavor is offline Vinylsavor  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi John,

yes in the integrated version I added the line stage which I use in my Octal Line preamp. This way I have a little reserve in gain.

If the sound will suffer without a line stage depends on your sources. If they have good output stages, can drive the interconnects to the amp properly, there will be no problem. Usually it should work.

I generally prefer separate preamps since I am using transformer volume controls which sound best when driven from their own low impedance buffer stage. Fitting that into the power amp would eat up too much space. In my integrated amp I compromised and used a resistive volume pot.

Best regards

Thomas
Old 23rd January 2014, 08:11 PM   #72
force of 1/2 is offline force of 1/2  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Thomas,

Thanks, again, for your generosity in answering my questions.

Have you tried paralleling the 6BC5As? What sort of changes would this require? I'm guessing that one tube would give roughly 6-7 watts before clipping? I am using a triode straped EL34 (6-ish watts) now and I have ALMOST enough power-- that is enough power for most recordings I have.

Of course, I'd rather have better than more, if I had to choose.

Best,
John
Old 24th January 2014, 05:54 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

Hi John,

I thought about paralleling 6CB5as but never got around to actually do it. I did build a Push Pull 6CB5a amp once. For my taste the 6N7 driver tube would have to high plate resistance for driving two tubes in parallel. So if going PSE, I'd prefer a different driver.

Parallel tubes would require an output transformer with half the primary impedance and which is capable for twice the DC current.

Best regards

Thomas
Old 17th March 2014, 01:00 PM   #74
Nafty is offline Nafty  Israel
diyAudio Member

Hello Vinylsavor.
You mentioned that you build up a push pull with a 6CB5A. Could you please refer to the OPT used ? Thank you and kind regards. Nafty
Old 17th March 2014, 06:26 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Hi!

I used the Tango FE-25-8 in the push pull version. But these are not made any more.
I'd suggest OPTs with 8-10k plate to plate impedance

Thomas
Old 17th March 2014, 07:30 PM   #76
Nafty is offline Nafty  Israel
diyAudio Member

Well, i-m going into a full enhanced mode and i suppose that i need lots of table working to do before have a final design. Thank you.

SE 6CB5A amp with 6N7 driverHide this!Advertise here!