SE 6CB5A amp with 6N7 driver - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2013, 03:03 AM   #11
pso is offline pso  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hi Thomas.

Currently I have a SSE (Tubelab) with 6P3S-E and EDCOR GXSE15-8-5K, in spite of the simple components, sounds great.

But I think I have the ''SE fever'' and I want more.

I would like a 300B, but only the tubes are taken much of the budget, for the price of a one tube 300B buy four 6AX4GTB, five 6N7 (Metal) and six 6CB5A, all RCA and NOS.

Apparently the sound is close to the 300B's, and I can spend more on iron and I do not mind running the tube pretty hard or that any fail.

For now I will go with the version without inter-stage transformer (I can always upgrade in the future) I prefer to spend on better OPT and PSU.

For the PSU I will go with the rectifier bridge (Graetz) and oil caps, for the iron, LUNDAHL.

Upgrade to EDCOR (25W) becomes a pain due to shipping and VAT.

There is an authorized dealer in Spain and the shipping is free or almost nothing, and although LUNDAHL is far more expensive than EDCOR , with this, there is not much difference.

Besides the tubes, I have the two chokes (LL1673H10), for the OPT I'm thinking about the LL1620, sounds like a good option?

My doubt is in the PT, I'm looking for something like this,

0-500V at 200mA.

6,3V at 7a.

6,3v at 5A

But for now I find nothing, if the price is not prohibitive, I would like to have one that you use, where you get them?

Thanks.
Old 8th February 2013, 05:56 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi pso,

The power transformer I use are custom made for me and I also sell them as well as all other parts which are needed for my designs.

I plan to build small monoblocks based on the simpler RC coupled design which I will present on my blog by the end of the month.

I will send a PM to you about the power transformers

Best regards

Thomas
Old 8th February 2013, 11:45 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I'm gathering parts for a 6N7/6CB5A SE build - RC coupled since I'm a cheapskate - and my own power supply design. Looking forward to hearing triodes again since it has been a few years.
Old 8th February 2013, 11:59 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Thomas,

Ultimately did not order the chokes, I will buy all the iron to you ( Besides some small parts).

I will wait for you design momoblock to decide.

Some questions ...

PSU + amplifier and monoblocks, one of the two designs have any advantages over the other?

Your smaller transformer for this monoblock, also has several voltage options?

This amplifier can be driven at full power with CD player, or need a preamplifier?

Thanks.
Old 9th February 2013, 08:00 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pso View Post
PSU + amplifier and monoblocks, one of the two designs have any advantages over the other?
There is no real advantage to mono blocks. If you are on a limited budget, going for mnonoblocks is the silliest thing you could do. Monos almost double the cost for almost no advantage in sound. I do it with my upcoming low cost 6CB5A amps for two reasons. One is I happen to have wooden chassis available which fit monos, not a stereo amp. Second, this project might get published in a german DIY mag. Monos are popular, so let's serve the taste of the crowd ;-)
Smart people go for stereo and use the money saved from the reduced chassis cost to get better parts.

Going for the transformer coupled version will bring the sound a bigger step forward than anything else.

Quote:
Your smaller transformer for this monoblock, also has several voltage options?
Yes

Quote:
This amplifier can be driven at full power with CD player, or need a preamplifier?
Yes the typical CD level of 2V RMS is enough to drive this amp to full power

Best regards

Thomas
Old 9th February 2013, 10:39 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Finally not go with monoblocks, soon I will order you the iron.

I have some oil caps 50uf, I can use these in the PSU instead of 30uf of the scheme?
Old 9th February 2013, 11:17 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

One more question,

Which is best for rectifying, the hybrid bridge with two 6AX4+UF1007 or the Greatz rectifier bridge?
Old 9th February 2013, 12:26 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi!

Quote:
I have some oil caps 50uf, I can use these in the PSU instead of 30uf of the scheme?
The RC coupled version as I porposed it uses electrolytic pas for cost reasons.
Of course you can use oil caps and they will certainly yield an improvement. I used 200-250uF. The schematic can be found in this article:

VinylSavor: Single Ended Amplifier Concept, Part 4

Best regards

Thomas
Old 9th February 2013, 12:27 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi!

Quote:
Which is best for rectifying, the hybrid bridge with two 6AX4+UF1007 or the Greatz rectifier bridge?
In the new build which I am planning, I will use a hybrid bridge with 6BY5 and UF1007. Two 6AX4 instead of the 6BY5 would be ok too

Best regards

Thomas
Old 9th February 2013, 03:49 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I will be collect parts, and then decide on the design of the PSU, but I'd go with the best.

Hide this!Advertise here!