• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE 6CB5A amp with 6N7 driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Matt,

as this is supposed to be a low cost design, each part needs to be looked at. And while the ASCs are not very expensive, it adds up and as you mentioned they need real estate which drives up the chassis cost. You could argue the same about interstage transformers, they are not that expensive.

The same for ultrapath: it would add to the cost significantly since it requires decoupling of driver and output stage to be cost effective. I already presented a design which is a step up in cost and a significant improvement in sound performance. It can be found where:

VinylSavor: Making of a SE 6CB5A amplifier: circuit

At the end everybody can make his own choices. Since I usually show designs with little compromises, I wanted to show an amp that is at the lowest possible end of the cost ladder but still providing good sound.

Best regards

Thomas

Thomas,
I guess I should have gotten to the point. I like ultrapath as well but I have never listened to an electrolytic in that position, I was curious if you had. I have never A/B'ed electrolytic bypass with electrolytic ultrapath. I've tried MKPs as ultrapaths but didn't like the sound.
Matt

Hi Thomas, if you have a electrolyt as the first cap in you powersupply after the gratz bridge, and then isolate it from the amp circuit, with a coil and proper decoupling, will you still be able to hear that first electrolyt?
I guess the function of the coil is as much to prevent the music signal to go though the electrolyt as much as it is there for noise filtering, or am I completely off hear?
By the way I love the way you build you designs, but they become so expensive.... :)

Hi!

Hi Thomas, if you have a electrolyt as the first cap in you powersupply after the gratz bridge, and then isolate it from the amp circuit, with a coil and proper decoupling, will you still be able to hear that first electrolyt?

You will probably get different opinions on that. I would say the electrolytic would not be very audible. But I haven't tried. I either built all oil caps or all electrolytics

Best regards

Thomas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.