Standard Input Design Value - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2010, 04:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Standard Input Design Value

Is there a standard Input Signal value to use when designing the gain stage?
Old 23rd December 2010, 04:38 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The gain stage of what? Context will be useful.
Old 23rd December 2010, 04:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I quess that would help. In general any power amp that may be used with a CD Player, DAC, Reciever, Mp3 Player, PC, etc.

In detail I'm working on a SE 6BQ5 using a 6FQ7.
Old 23rd December 2010, 04:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Generally, between 1 and 2V for full output is a good target.
Old 23rd December 2010, 05:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Are you talking P-P or rms?
Old 23rd December 2010, 05:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

RMS.
Old 23rd December 2010, 05:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

So it's normal to have an amp that with some souces you won't get full output. And with other sources you will over drive the grids and clip?
Old 23rd December 2010, 05:16 PM   #8
LAJ is offline LAJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Think in dB.

For microphones: -55dB (Although there is some variation in mics output level.
For consumer line: -10dB
For professional line: +4db

Personally I like 0 dB for line. And I would calibrate my VU meters to read 0dB to equal 0Vu. (Makes sense.)
The old Bell telephone standard was +8dB. (They wrote the book on audio level measurements.)
Old 23rd December 2010, 05:34 PM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troncones View Post
So it's normal to have an amp that with some souces you won't get full output. And with other sources you will over drive the grids and clip?
Not sure where you got the above impressions, there is always a gain controlling element ahead of the gain stages in a power amplifier whether that is an internal stepped attenuator, volume control pot or an external active or passive line stage.. (Or it could be the volume control in your iPod, Hifiman or whatever you choose.)

Generally you should design your power amplifier driver stage to provide sufficient gain to allow the lowest output source you use to achieve full output at something less than the highest setting on your volume control - this is to allow sufficient available gain such that you can achieve reasonable output levels with that source for any program material available.

The volume control ahead of this stage will provide sufficient attenuation to deal with signals that would otherwise overdrive the stage.

Note that providing more gain than is sufficient based on the above criteria usually results in some compromise of the signal to noise ratio so should be avoided if possible.

I use sources in my system that have maximum signal output levels of ~700mVrms to >3Vrms without any difficulty.

Last edited by kevinkr; 23rd December 2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 23rd December 2010, 05:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This problem can be avoided by using a real pre-amplifier.
To me pre-amplifier means such device that has several inputs with different kind of features.

There should be phono amplifier with RIAA correction. The sensitivity of such stage is typically few millivolts.

There should also be such inputs that drive the output stage full with, say 300 mV input signal.

There must also be inputs having sensitivity of about 1 to 2 V to be used with CD-players and similar-level signal sources.

Actually this input level ( 1 to 2 volts ) do not require any sort of pre-amplifier, only volume potentiometer between signal source and output amplifier.

However, it seems to me that very many pre-amplifier projects introduced here are such that both input- and output levels are from 1 to 2 volts.
I do not know what is the point to build such "amplifiers".

Hide this!Advertise here!