• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

First attempt p2p valve power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I want to build my first power amp from scratch. I've asked in the past about buying cheap Chinese amps (which I did but I'm not happy with) and was told repeatedly to build one, well here I am!

This thread will deal with choosing the schematic and then once I've chosen one I'll then create a new thread that follows the build.

So suggestions for an amp / schematic on the following criteria:

Easy to build
Single ended
Well documented
Good for sensitive full rangers
Suited to folk music
Able to wire point to point
Sounds amazing

Thanks

Chris

I second the TubelabSSE...it is a very quiet amp - much quieter than the 300b I am building...although I am not done with it yet...

The only thing I will say is but the heaviest OPT's that you can afford...I am on my third set for this SE amp and it is now suitable...I highly recommend edcor CXSE series...they are truly no joke...

Abdella's KT88 SE is another one for a true P2P effort...

RH84. I have mine on a pair of sensitive fullrangers and it sounds incredible. Power is limited (around 4W) but can be played loud enough to be heard in the garden. The low parts counts means you can be as generic or as exotic as you want without breaking the bank too.

Btw, I listen to folk music as well and I believe this suits it well. The vocals and soundstage are unbelievable.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.