• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

After Christmas free time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK boys and girls,

After the presents are opened and I can't possibly shovel in another forkful of turkey, and the post Christmas blah's set in...... I get a few days off.

I got a bushel basket full of 8-pin-ers,
I got a pair of Edcor XSE15-8-5K's
I got a pair of 10.5H 255ohm DRC chokes
I got some 450vdc electrolytics
I got a few power transformers in the 270-350 volt range

Simplicity tells me to go with the Boozhound Lab (Boozhound Laboratories) 6sn7-6v6 tutorial amp.

Your opinions are welcome and encouraged. Nothing fancy, and simpler the better.
Hopefully this will result in my home-office amp.

Ed

or poinz' Music Machine reserving the option to swap out the opt's at a later date for something a little more esoteric

Since the output transformers are 5K primary, Consider Poinz' EL34 music machine, the 6GK5 Version.........If you later want to try the 6V6 version, swap in a 8K or 10K transformer and reduce the B+ voltages. The remaining circuit changes are minimal.

6GK5/EL34 Music Machine approx 12W or so

6GK5/6V6 MM, about 6W or so....

They are both triode wired.

I got a pair of Edcor XSE15-8-5K's.....Since the output transformers are 5K primary......I got a few power transformers in the 270-350 volt range

I run a Simple SE with 6V6GTA's in triode using the XSE15-8-5K OPT's. It makes a very nice sounding 2 WPC, if that is enough for you. I am using an Allied 6K56VG power transformer which is rated for 270-0-270 volts but being a Hammond in disguise it makes about 290 volts. The B+ is 320 volts with a 5AR4 rectifier and about 350 volts with SS diodes. You could use whatever circuit you chose that matched your tubes.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
This is the Boozehound design that intrigues me. A hi-fi version would be quite interesting.
Boozhound Laboratories

Eh.... The design you link to is a push-pull design. The XSE15-8-5K as its part number indicates is for single ended (SE) operation. It does have a center tap, but it's a 60/40 split -- i.e. an ultra linear (UL) tap. For PP you need a 50/50 split. I would also imagine that a PP OPT is gapped differently than a SE OPT. If it's gapped at all. I haven't done any PP design, but I don't think there's any net DC flux in the core in a PP setup. The two anode DC currents should cancel, hence, no DC flux.

Anyway. Long story short. I'd go with a SE design. Think Tubelab SE or Simple SE. Or perhaps something along the lines of the 6LU8 Spud I designed a while back.

6V6 or 6L6 driven by a 6J5 (1/2 6SN7) could be interesting. Or EL84. A pentode output stage would allow you to try ultra-linear operation.

~Tom

Last edited:
Eh.... The design you link to is a push-pull design. The XSE15-8-5K as its part number indicates is for single ended (SE) operation.
~Tom

Good point, they won't work for Poinz' music machines either as those designs are both PP.

Boozhound has a 6V6 SE design posted IIRC........

Tubelab Simple SE
Mikael Abdellah's KT88 SE
Angela Instruments/JEL EL34 SE

There is a similar thread going on here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/179635-first-attempt-p2p-valve-power-amp.html

First and foremost, Merry Christmas to all.

With that said, I hope my off-handed post didn't throw everyone.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but XSE15-8-5K are SE output transformers.
And, the Boozhoundlabs schematic can be found at - Boozhound Laboratories
I called it a "tutorial" in my original post, sorry about that.
As a Newbie of all things with electrons and tubes, I'm sure it is a triode strapped 6V6 SE amp.

To re-phrase my original question: "If I already have a bunch of junk (no pun intended to our Holiday air travelers!), is that schematic a good starting point to learn, modify, tweak, or good enough to enjoy the the music?" Based on my other feeble amp attempts, 1 W seems to be plenty for my home brew (read M. King) TL speaker cabs.

Again, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good Listening Night.

Ed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.