• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Any good tube amp kits for a first attempt?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking of making a tube amp with a nice design in mind, I don't want anything that powerful only about 10W p/ch because I don't want to be able to see the transformers. So are there any decent kits out there? I've seen a few on ebay from china but they look a bit dodgy to me and seen as I don't know anything about tubes I wouldn't know how to judge either!

Oh yes and in the UK if possible!

Thanks
Boscoe

Last edited:
A few come to mind...
1. Tubelab SimpleSE Simple SE board You can purchase your board from tubelab.com via paypal - many here have built it incuding me...
2. Check out Tom McNally's Amps There are many types of amps he builds both P2P and with PCB's...lots of ideas for chassis layout etc here.
3. There are many dynaco ST35 and ST70 kits around with PCBs.
4. The Get*SET*Go [google it] is interesting with some mods to convert it to use a DHT like a 300b or 2a3

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Elekit makes some very nice product for the money - ELEKIT WEB World::product Catalog

Also, if you have the ability to do some metalwork (because that's always the tricky bit), scratchbuilding something like the Bevios Valley amp, Red Light District amp, or something on the Tubecad site really isn't that hard. There are plenty of people on this site who will happily answer whatever questions you might have!

Eli's El-Cheapo, Poinz' EL34 (or 6V6) Music Machine, Gingertubes Baby Huey, SY's RLD (already mentioned), Tubelab's Simple SE (already mentioned), Tubelab Simple P-P, Boosehound labs 6V6....

The Tubelab projects have circuit boards available; the others are P2P builds.

Last edited:

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
PS: But PSB-styled kits are the wrong way (IMHO), point-to-point wired designs seems to me as the better way to start into the DIY-tube amp magic. Just my five cents :2c:

Strange thing to say (IMHO). There is no right or wrong, just preferences and fads, when it comes to that particular choice. In fact, a PCB is very well suited to first-time builds. I wouldn't make a PCB first time though, that's a learning curve for a different weekend.

My highest recommendation would be tubelab.com for this situation due to the excellent documentation, availability of parts (including PCBs), and friendly, sage support. Having said that all others mentioned should be considered.

..Todd

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone but is there anywhere in the UK doing kits?

I would actually prefer PCBs as long as I can buy them and I don't mind not buying a complete kit I would then just need some advice on tubes and transformers I think and actually ways of doing things!

Or see the more cheapest solution:
HIFI Audio Tube Amplifier SE EL34B Amp DIY Kit Stereo on eBay (end time 23-Dec-10 02:08:47 GMT)

Only £151.62 GBP, point-to-point wiring kit, wide range of component parts upgrade.

Any recommendations from DiyAudio members?

Thanks for the find and although this is a very good price I'm only paying for some tubes and trafos, want some PCBage! The internal pics look disgusting!

Last edited:
Strange thing to say (IMHO). There is no right or wrong, just preferences and fads, when it comes to that particular choice. In fact, a PCB is very well suited to first-time builds.

Ok, just my preference :scratch2:
The deeper you dig into tube amp building and tuning, the more repair techs you'll find that say that PCB amps are no good. Point-to-point wiring approaches "best" in electronic terms: lowest parasitic coupling and crosstalk if done well.

Point-to-point wiring means a deeper and deliberate involvement in process for me. IMHO, of course.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Point-to-Point wiring is quite easy - although a PCB might be more convenient, don't let P2P put you off!

Build a Push-Pull EL84 amp. They sound incredible, have enough power to use normal speakers, and are simple and easy. The usual "problem" with them is that they are awfully hard to beat sonically!!

Find a design. Determine what iron you need. Buy said iron, along with all the bits&pieces that attach to the chassis. Input jacks, output jacks, power switch, sockets, transformers, power cord inlet, etc... Make your chassis and mount all that stuff.

The amp will then be 80% complete.

Wire the circuit in point to point and Bob's your uncle!

Point-to-Point wiring is quite easy - although a PCB might be more convenient, don't let P2P put you off!

Build a Push-Pull EL84 amp. They sound incredible, have enough power to use normal speakers, and are simple and easy. The usual "problem" with them is that they are awfully hard to beat sonically!!

Find a design. Determine what iron you need. Buy said iron, along with all the bits&pieces that attach to the chassis. Input jacks, output jacks, power switch, sockets, transformers, power cord inlet, etc... Make your chassis and mount all that stuff.

The amp will then be 80% complete.

Wire the circuit in point to point and Bob's your uncle!

There was quite a few THIS one? I have no idea a good design to a bad one!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.