favourite midrange,treble tubes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2010, 02:52 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default favourite midrange,treble tubes

I know many people don't like to recommend things like favourite tubes because there's so many paramaters that matter, but........
I'm not concerned about bass, thats being done by another amp a moscode driving a Hframe.
I have George's wonderfull tubelab simple se driving a open baffle driver
Currently using EH el34 sounds great!!
So great that I'd like to try some other tubes.
Because I'm really only interested in >200 Hz what tubes do you recommend for smooth sweet midrange and up and great imaging.
My moscode will provide for the for the rock so I don't think what kind of music you listen to is an appropriate question here, ( I listen to everything ((except for hip hop, rap and country)) ).
I've seen great things about el34 variants esp KT77.
Lots of nice things about lots of tubes but alot of you guys have a bass fetish, and with this amp, bass isn't much of a consideration.
???????????????????????????????????????????????/
which tubes do you think I should buy (under $120/pair)
Old 21st December 2010, 03:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

IMHO there are tubes that seem to do better, but to me the the biggest impact in mids and treble came from the iron. In the case of the Simple SE, the medium grade Edcors WAY outperformed the Bigger brothers. I am currently running some electraprint iron on an kt88 PP amp that was designed for bass. I doubt I will ever use the amps for bass alone. The mids and highs are too good to ignore. Just my $0.02

FYI my SSE also runs KT88's.

If you want sweetness, the 300B has a nice warm sound in the mids and uppers.
Old 21st December 2010, 06:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi!

As you said, thais will depend upon many other thing beside the tube: iron, caps, PSU.

Given that all these things are done properly:

45 for ultimate midrange
801A/10Y for best resolution in the treble

Thomas
Old 21st December 2010, 07:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

what about the tube (any tube) would make it stronger or not than its equivalents in the narrow band of frequencies that define the audio range?
Old 21st December 2010, 09:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

For me, midrange and treble are entirely the realm of DHTs, they have a holographic midrange and sweet detailed treble unlike all the indirectly heated tubes I've used. Obvious outputs are 300b, 2a3 etc. But it's equally important to use DHT input tubes like 26, 01A, 10Y etc. - that's where the sound is.

Andy
Old 21st December 2010, 10:03 AM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
what about the tube (any tube) would make it stronger or not than its equivalents in the narrow band of frequencies that define the audio range?
Mechanical resonances, for one. This is especially true for directly heated (filament) tubes.
Old 21st December 2010, 10:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Sy,

What did you have in mind about mechanical factors and DHTs?

andy
Old 21st December 2010, 10:58 AM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Tap one with a pencil tip while the volume is turned up. Lively!
Old 21st December 2010, 11:20 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello Sy,

Microphonics may not be the only factor in good sound! A number of good sounding tubes are microphonic - 1G4G is a good example.

Andy
Old 21st December 2010, 11:21 AM   #10
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

DHTs are not the only microphonic tubes. But they are among the few that are extremely linear and have benign harmonic distortion. That sure helps in the mids and highs.

Hide this!Advertise here!