• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What do you think of this cheap tube amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Iv'e found this tube amplifier on ebay and I would like some honest comments about it.

The SAV-400A as its called its not really a tube amplifier as it uses power transistors instead of output transformers so I guess that makes it a hybrid amplifier?

There's a site I have found that gives more info about it, but this model has a better power output so its not the same model just the one above.

I know its not much to go on but some people should have experience of this type of thing.

Oh and one last thing I've already bought one for the price of £69.99!! should have been £379.99 yeah right!!

Link to the amplifier:
SAV-400A Vacuum Tube Integrated Power Amplifier £69.99 on eBay (end time 20-Dec-10 19:33:03 GMT)

Link to the web page: (in Chinese needs translating)
¡¾´´ÊÀÒôÏì¡¿µ¤Âó µ¤ÌØÉù AV-400A µç×ӹܵ¨»ú¹¦·Å Ìؼ۴ÙÏú-ÌÔ±¦Íø ´´ÊÀ¼Òµç Ò×¹ºÅÄ

Thank you for any help you can provide me on this matter:)

I can't quite figure out why they used two rectifier tubes, other than for appearances? I can't imagine they're using vacuum tube rectification for the solid state output stage. You wouldn't be able to pull enough current through the vacuum tubes. Are they using two vacuum tubes to make a full wave bridge rectifier? Cute, but wouldn't a center tap on the PT secondary be a whole lot easier and cheaper?

Isn't the 6N2 a small signal tube? I believe it's got rather a lot in common with a 12AX7. In the power supply department, I'd think a single 5Z4 would be overkill for just two 6N2. Two of them just seems silly.

Now I want to see a schematic for this strange animal.

Iv'e found this tube amplifier on ebay and I would like some honest comments about it.

The SAV-400A as its called its not really a tube amplifier as it uses power transistors instead of output transformers so I guess that makes it a hybrid amplifier?

There's a site I have found that gives more info about it, but this model has a better power output so its not the same model just the one above.

I know its not much to go on but some people should have experience of this type of thing.

Oh and one last thing I've already bought one for the price of £69.99!! should have been £379.99 yeah right!!

Link to the amplifier:
SAV-400A Vacuum Tube Integrated Power Amplifier £69.99 on eBay (end time 20-Dec-10 19:33:03 GMT)

Link to the web page: (in Chinese needs translating)
¡¾´´ÊÀÒôÏì¡¿µ¤Âó µ¤ÌØÉù AV-400A µç×ӹܵ¨»ú¹¦·Å Ìؼ۴ÙÏú-ÌÔ±¦Íø ´´ÊÀ¼Òµç Ò×¹ºÅÄ

Thank you for any help you can provide me on this matter:)

the SAV-400 sells as Sakua-200 in the Philippines.....i have analysed the circuit and the 2 rectifier tubes are used to supply +/-6 volts rails to a 4558 op-amp driving the tone control stack, the 2 6N23 tubes are cathode followers, mind you only 1/2 of each tube is used...rails for the cathode follower is +/-12 volts......

i have since exorcised the 2 5Z4 rectifers and is seriously considering removing the 6N23 tubes to be used in another project....

this is the scheme showing the recitifers:
IMG_0466.jpg

yes, this amp can run all solid state.....:D

Last edited:
This looks interesting too.... too bad there is no N. American version affordable and available. AD-601 Vacuum Tube Integrated Power Amplifier 2X35W RMS on eBay (end time 12-Jan-11 21:18:37 GMT)

Those were available here recently, and actually once some simple mods were done for reliability and sonics, they sound quite good once broken in.
However, they are NOT a tube amp. The entire amp is solid state (18wpc) using LM1875T chips with 4558 opamps. The tubes are used as cathode followers (even the 6P15s) with supply taken from the 1875 positive rail of 20v to impart a bit of 'tubiness' to the sound. There is no high voltage (apart from line supply) inside this amp.
The fan is there to cool the LM1875T heatsink which is hidden inside.

Gary

It looks like it was carefully designed to enhance the placebo effect by pushing audiophool buttons like SRPP and vacuum rectification. It might sound OK, but that will be in spite of the 'features' not because of them. It looks like a cynical attempt to take money off people who recognise buzzwords they have seen in a magazine.

If it was really good they would be able to inflate the price for the final stocks, not slash it to get rid of the last batch.

It looks like it was carefully designed to enhance the placebo effect by pushing audiophool buttons like SRPP and vacuum rectification. It might sound OK, but that will be in spite of the 'features' not because of them. It looks like a cynical attempt to take money off people who recognise buzzwords they have seen in a magazine.

If it was really good they would be able to inflate the price for the final stocks, not slash it to get rid of the last batch.

in another power tube amp coming from china, the tube rectifier, a 5AR4 had silicon diodes soldered underneath so that even if you pull out that tube the amp still plays on.....:D

i guess if they could imagine it, they could do it....:D

and i am not sorry to buy that amp, i got a source of tubes for my son's guitar amp....:D

well, the case is sort of nice, it has 4 holes (2 noval, 2 octal) and apparantly a power transformer with low voltage windings and something as a 50 to 60VCT winding that could feed a voltage quadrupler for about 300V, so you still have basically everything you need for an Aikido linestage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.