Re-tubing stock ST70 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2010, 07:21 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
Thanks for all responses.
Mr McShane doesn't say where Genelex (not GEC) tubes are manufactured. "Doesn't say" means china to me until proved otherwise by your experience.
Excuse me, but Genalex (not Genelex) tubes are made in Russia. It is printed right on the tube base. It is widely known to be Russian made - do a Google search and see. If you didn't want to do that you'd have been welcome to email me and ask. I take some offense at the tone you took - as if I was hiding something in an effort to deceive my customers. Never!!

Quote:
Electroharmonix (russia) has a winged C 6CA7 at tubes&more, don't know who is selling "SED" or where they come from.
Again, Google is your friend...

Electro-Harmonix is a long standing trademark of New Sensor Corp from New York. They used it on guitar effects pedals and similar items long before it was applied to any tubes. Electro-Harmonix (EH) tubes are made in the Xpo-Pul/Reflektor production plant in Saratov, Russia.

SED is the US trademark for tubes produced in the St. Petersburg, Russia plant owned and operated by the parent company - Svetlana Electronic Devices. Outside the US these tubes are called Svetlana, but because the rights to the Svetlana name is owned by another company (New Sensor) it can't be used in the USA. So in the US these tubes are referred to as "SED" or "Winged C".

The 6CA7 is not a "winged C" tube. It is made in the Saratov plant, not St. Petersburg.

BTW, New Sensor OWNS the plant in Saratov, as well as many widely known brand names such as:

Sovtek
Electro-Harmonix (EH)
Svetlana (for tubes distributed in the US only; these tubes are Saratov made, not St. Petersburg made.)
Mullard
Tung-Sol, and
Genalex Gold Lion

I think the implication in your post was uncalled for. People who know me can tell you that I am 100% above board in everything I do. Your post was inappropriate IMHO.
Old 18th December 2010, 08:50 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I apologize. I didn't know you were in business. I wanted specific information, thank you, now I have it. Google searching doesn't help me much on where things come from, the level of expertise on this board is much higher than other places I have been. Wrong information is completely free. Triode & T&M are not entirely clear on the Sovtek/EH/winged C phenomenon and apparently the importer has changed the meaning of the names recently according to a deep page on T&M. I'd never heard of SED, GEC and Genelec mean to me GE of UK that quit making tubes in the seventies, I wanted some clarification of your abbreviations. If you had a FAQ on your website, a link would have been fine. Actually your post above should be a FAQ, it is extremely clear. 99.99 % of everything manufactured sold in the US comes from *****, I was looking for specific responses. I am too green purchasing tubes to match the abbreviated company names and the text on the website. If that was your website I looked at, do please have someone clean up & organize as time allows, I don't intend to wade through a lot of used tubes and outdated special offers to buy new ones.

Last edited by indianajo; 18th December 2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 18th December 2010, 09:02 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
I apologize. I didn't know you were in business. I wanted specific information, thank you, now I have it. Google searching doesn't help me much on where things come from, the level of expertise on this board is much higher than other places I have been. Wrong information is completely free. Triode & T&M are not entirely clear on the Sovtek/EH/winged C phenomenon and apparently the importer has changed the meaning of the names recently according to a deep page on T&M. I'd never heard of SED, GEC and Genelec mean to me GE of UK that quit making tubes in the seventies, I wanted some clarification of your abbreviations. If you had a FAQ on your website, a link would have been fine. 99.99 % of everything manufactured sold in the US comes from *****, I was looking for specific responses. I am too green purchasing tubes to match the abbreviated company names and the text on the website. If that was your website I looked at, do please have someone clean up & organize as time allows, I don't intend to wade through a lot of used tubes and outdated special offers to buy new ones.
I'm sorry you find my site lacking. So I suggest you not bother with looking at it. FYI I've just started work with a great web designer to update and streamline my site. But I would suggest that even when it's done you don't bother looking at it.

I did a Google search for "Genalex Gold Lion made" - The 4th entry on the 1st page answered the question. Searching "Genalex Gold Lion tubes" gave the answer on virtually every page 1 entry.

BTW, I sell a LOT of used tubes, some go to some of the people here. Used tubes are great values in many cases. Who are you to say that because you don't want them that others shouldn't either??

Just a tip - if you need help, ask for help - don't come in here with guns blazing and expect a warm, friendly reception.

Last edited by Jim McShane; 18th December 2010 at 09:25 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!