morgan jones:output stages - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2010, 08:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default morgan jones:output stages

I have built a lampizator srpp to replace the op amps in my cd player......After various tweaks I listen in complete disbelief at the sound coming out of my speakers...its crazy ...jaw dropping.......BUT!!!!!!!! I read in Morgan Jones that srpp is the worst choice for an output stage due to its distortion.....Jones does not conclude what is the best output stage....and so I am very confused...My srpp recieves a signal from a voltage out dac....the dac also gives balanced outputs (I do not use them)...the srpp feeds two tripath 2050 amps....so what do I have to consider when I try another output stage? mu/beta/differential/cathode I am lost.....or is srpp the best for the job?
Old 17th December 2010, 08:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Anode follower

I did a 6211 srpp for a tda1541, and loved it too. Might be the distortion.
My next output stage will consist of a triode connected D3a or C3m/C3g, i.e. anode follower.
Old 17th December 2010, 09:01 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The Lampizator circuit I've seen is far worse than anything Morgan considers. The SRPP topology is the last thing that's wrong there.

For a voltage output DAC, all that's needed is a plain old cathode follower or one of its variants.
Old 17th December 2010, 09:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

hi miniwatt ..but how have you come to that answer???.
What has made you pick an anode follower???? Was it chance or was it sums?If it was sums what factors did you use to make the choice???
Old 17th December 2010, 09:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

sy, could you explain why the lampizator circuit is so bad... Do not take the question the wrong way, I am not dis agreeing with you...I just out of curiousity want to try another type of output stage so I need to learn why this stage is bad
Old 17th December 2010, 09:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokesrule View Post
hi miniwatt ..but how have you come to that answer???.
What has made you pick an anode follower???? Was it chance or was it sums?If it was sums what factors did you use to make the choice???
Several reasons. A lecture by peter van Willenswaard about pros and cons of different topologies, his personal conclusion was that the simplest circuits sound the best. Now I want to see if I agree with him

I never used the Lampizator srpp, I designed my own. Srpp is easy to calculate as is AF. All the others are a bit far fetched for me at the mo. Santa Claus is bringing me some more books

So I'm following this topic to learn just like you. I'm a bit confused about what the difficulty with the load for a srpp is..
Old 17th December 2010, 09:37 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokesrule View Post
sy, could you explain why the lampizator circuit is so bad...
High distortion, poor headroom, unbalanced load for the two phases. Understand, though, that my design goals for electronics (having as little sound as possible rather than being effects boxes) may not line up with yours.
Old 18th December 2010, 07:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Never heard of a Lampizator, can any one enlighten me?
Henry
Old 18th December 2010, 08:02 PM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprepairman View Post
Never heard of a Lampizator, can any one enlighten me?
Henry
Just a google away.. Hobbyist who has become famous designing tube mods for CD players in particular. Now apparently selling those mods to others.

Scroll down page to see hobbyist pages, click on photo to go to commercial site. Lukasz Fikus Lampizator

Last edited by kevinkr; 18th December 2010 at 08:09 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!