• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

cascoded bjt ccs - design check please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys - before I let the smoke out testing it, comments.

Note - no, its not a depletion mode device or any other format, I'm running with what I have here, so looking for confirmation that I'm in the ballpark with my figures (my first time specifying this schematic). I figure its around a megaohm of impedance anyway which is plenty for my purpose.

LED string should be passing around 3.5ma, ccs is set to 1.65ma or around that...

Attachments

• 12sl7 ccs.bmp
    129.5 KB · Views: 250
version 2.

The negative rail voltage is not a given - I have a bias supply I can draw from with up to -50v the practical limit.

I can't get my head around the biasing (I'm looking for -1.5v relative to the grid which results in 0.825ma idle per device)

- does the ccs automatically bias the devices, or, with the lowered negative rail, do I have to bias the cathode relative to signal ground using the variable resistor shown in the new diagram?

Attachments

• 12sl7 ccs.JPG
    12sl7 ccs.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
- does the ccs automatically bias the devices, or, with the lowered negative rail, do I have to bias the cathode relative to signal ground using the variable resistor shown in the new diagram?

The tube will seek its bias, based on the current drawn by the CCS. Adjusting the resistor only changes the voltage at the top of the CCS, it doesn't change the grid to cathode voltage, and it requires a coupling cap on the input. It will bias that way, but there is no benefit.

Simpler to dispense with the variable resistor and connect your grid leak resistors to ground.

Sheldon

Yes and no, respectively. The pic below is more like what's needed. Some random thoughts:
If there's no input to the right triode, it's grid can be connected to ground. R6 will just add noise. R3 could be a trimmer if you want to adjust the current. The LEDs could be biased with a resistor to ground, saving a bit of current draw on the +300V line.

Attachments

• 12sl7 ccs2.JPG
    12sl7 ccs2.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 156
thanks godfrey - that's the other diagram that I discarded in an effort to complicate my life further!

I thought about getting the LED bias from 0v, but I have the 300v close by, and its only supplying the 12sl7 anodes, so its not under a lot of stress! In fact, I hope that the added current through the LEDs will assist in stablising the 300v supply a bit.

Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.