cnc aluminium chassis for tube amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2010, 10:18 PM   #1
gja is offline gja  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default cnc aluminium chassis for tube amps

Hi everyone,
Iīve been thinking of cnc routing chassis from aluminium plates for a while and finally got down to making two prototypes.Ones is 3mm aluminium and the other one is milled out of dibond (two thin sheets of aluminium with a compostite core).Routed lines are just for fun or aesthetics,the holes are for volume input output connection to power supply etc.
I could produce these or a "standard" model according to what most people want for a very reasonable price,sizes can be modified easily.I know this should be in the vendors forum but I am still not selling anything,just wondering if people would be interested (and like me donīt enjoy so much the chassis part of the amp...).
Criticism and opinions are welcome,the ones in the picture are 200 x 140mm (sorry about the metric dimensions).Shipping wouldīnt be an issue seeing it ships in a flat envelope.

Thanks for your help.

GJA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0039.JPG (845.4 KB, 886 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0038.JPG (877.3 KB, 794 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0037.JPG (878.9 KB, 736 views)

Last edited by gja; 15th December 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 15th December 2010, 10:24 PM   #2
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

piker - the real has deal machined grooves for pressed in solid teflon insulation for the solid silver "wire"
Old 15th December 2010, 10:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hey, those look nice. I like the lines, although in my (wood heat) house they would be filled with dust...

BTW: never apologize for using metric. Only apologize for using stupid old SAE
Old 16th December 2010, 06:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

never though about the dust...
jcx,I īm not sure I understand your post,missing something there.
Anyone know what is the most used octal socket?
Old 16th December 2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Jaap is offline Jaap  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja View Post
Hi everyone,
Iīve been thinking of cnc routing chassis from aluminium plates for a while and finally got down to making two prototypes.Ones is 3mm aluminium and the other one is milled out of dibond (two thin sheets of aluminium with a compostite core).Routed lines are just for fun or aesthetics,the holes are for volume input output connection to power supply etc.
I could produce these or a "standard" model according to what most people want for a very reasonable price,sizes can be modified easily.I know this should be in the vendors forum but I am still not selling anything,just wondering if people would be interested (and like me donīt enjoy so much the chassis part of the amp...).
Criticism and opinions are welcome,the ones in the picture are 200 x 140mm (sorry about the metric dimensions).Shipping wouldīnt be an issue seeing it ships in a flat envelope.

Thanks for your help.

GJA
I am interested.
Old 16th December 2010, 04:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

very nice....any custom work?
Old 16th December 2010, 04:40 PM   #7
maxw is offline maxw  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja View Post
Hi everyone,
sorry about the metric dimensions
Don't apologise for not using an antiquated system

200 x 140mm is pretty small though. Can you do bigger? Would you only be providing the top plate or the whole enclosure?
Old 16th December 2010, 05:00 PM   #8
THD+N is offline THD+N  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkytek View Post
Only apologize for using stupid old SAE
SAE? I think you mean "Imperial" measurements.

I agree, the metric system is easy and efficient, but it is still fun to see young kids in today's generation do fractions. Half of them scratch their head.
Old 17th December 2010, 06:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes 200x140 is pretty small.The idea is to find a "standard" dimension.I would just provide the top plate for the moment.Might improve the design so that you can ship it flat and fold down the sides,could be an option.
Still need to which are the most used octal sockets and noval sockets...Anyone got a clue?

Last edited by gja; 17th December 2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 17th December 2010, 09:01 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I was using, with good result, a 25mm DeWalt tubular drill to mount chinese ceramic octal sockets (top mount) For underside mounting will probably need 27mm or so.
For a small SE amp, a 200 X 300 mm plate will be around Ok
Ask the customer to send a CAD draft with detailed lay out & dimension data, in order to avoid any misunderstanding & sent back items.
Cheers
J

Hide this!Advertise here!