diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   cnc aluminium chassis for tube amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/179216-cnc-aluminium-chassis-tube-amps.html)

gja 15th December 2010 10:18 PM

cnc aluminium chassis for tube amps

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,
Iīve been thinking of cnc routing chassis from aluminium plates for a while and finally got down to making two prototypes.Ones is 3mm aluminium and the other one is milled out of dibond (two thin sheets of aluminium with a compostite core).Routed lines are just for fun or aesthetics,the holes are for volume input output connection to power supply etc.
I could produce these or a "standard" model according to what most people want for a very reasonable price,sizes can be modified easily.I know this should be in the vendors forum but I am still not selling anything,just wondering if people would be interested (and like me donīt enjoy so much the chassis part of the amp...).
Criticism and opinions are welcome,the ones in the picture are 200 x 140mm (sorry about the metric dimensions).Shipping wouldīnt be an issue seeing it ships in a flat envelope.

Thanks for your help.

GJA

jcx 15th December 2010 10:24 PM

piker - the real has deal machined grooves for pressed in solid teflon insulation for the solid silver "wire"

funkytek 15th December 2010 10:45 PM

Hey, those look nice. I like the lines, although in my (wood heat) house they would be filled with dust...

BTW: never apologize for using metric. Only apologize for using stupid old SAE ;)

gja 16th December 2010 06:25 AM

never though about the dust...
jcx,I īm not sure I understand your post,missing something there.
Anyone know what is the most used octal socket?

Jaap 16th December 2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gja (Post 2400055)
Hi everyone,
Iīve been thinking of cnc routing chassis from aluminium plates for a while and finally got down to making two prototypes.Ones is 3mm aluminium and the other one is milled out of dibond (two thin sheets of aluminium with a compostite core).Routed lines are just for fun or aesthetics,the holes are for volume input output connection to power supply etc.
I could produce these or a "standard" model according to what most people want for a very reasonable price,sizes can be modified easily.I know this should be in the vendors forum but I am still not selling anything,just wondering if people would be interested (and like me donīt enjoy so much the chassis part of the amp...).
Criticism and opinions are welcome,the ones in the picture are 200 x 140mm (sorry about the metric dimensions).Shipping wouldīnt be an issue seeing it ships in a flat envelope.

Thanks for your help.

GJA

I am interested.

speakerfritz 16th December 2010 04:36 PM

very nice....any custom work?

maxw 16th December 2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gja (Post 2400055)
Hi everyone,
sorry about the metric dimensions

Don't apologise for not using an antiquated system :p

200 x 140mm is pretty small though. Can you do bigger? Would you only be providing the top plate or the whole enclosure?

THD+N 16th December 2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkytek (Post 2400077)
Only apologize for using stupid old SAE ;)

SAE? I think you mean "Imperial" measurements.

I agree, the metric system is easy and efficient, but it is still fun to see young kids in today's generation do fractions. Half of them scratch their head.

gja 17th December 2010 06:45 AM

Yes 200x140 is pretty small.The idea is to find a "standard" dimension.I would just provide the top plate for the moment.Might improve the design so that you can ship it flat and fold down the sides,could be an option.
Still need to which are the most used octal sockets and noval sockets...Anyone got a clue?

Mosquito 17th December 2010 09:01 AM

I was using, with good result, a 25mm DeWalt tubular drill to mount chinese ceramic octal sockets (top mount) For underside mounting will probably need 27mm or so.
For a small SE amp, a 200 X 300 mm plate will be around Ok
Ask the customer to send a CAD draft with detailed lay out & dimension data, in order to avoid any misunderstanding & sent back items.
Cheers
J