• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

cnc aluminium chassis for tube amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
I´ve been thinking of cnc routing chassis from aluminium plates for a while and finally got down to making two prototypes.Ones is 3mm aluminium and the other one is milled out of dibond (two thin sheets of aluminium with a compostite core).Routed lines are just for fun or aesthetics,the holes are for volume input output connection to power supply etc.
I could produce these or a "standard" model according to what most people want for a very reasonable price,sizes can be modified easily.I know this should be in the vendors forum but I am still not selling anything,just wondering if people would be interested (and like me don´t enjoy so much the chassis part of the amp...).
Criticism and opinions are welcome,the ones in the picture are 200 x 140mm (sorry about the metric dimensions).Shipping would´nt be an issue seeing it ships in a flat envelope.

Thanks for your help.

GJA

Attachments

• CIMG0039.JPG
    CIMG0039.JPG
    845.4 KB · Views: 982
  • CIMG0038.JPG
    CIMG0038.JPG
    877.3 KB · Views: 886
  • CIMG0037.JPG
    CIMG0037.JPG
    878.9 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I´ve been thinking of cnc routing chassis from aluminium plates for a while and finally got down to making two prototypes.Ones is 3mm aluminium and the other one is milled out of dibond (two thin sheets of aluminium with a compostite core).Routed lines are just for fun or aesthetics,the holes are for volume input output connection to power supply etc.
I could produce these or a "standard" model according to what most people want for a very reasonable price,sizes can be modified easily.I know this should be in the vendors forum but I am still not selling anything,just wondering if people would be interested (and like me don´t enjoy so much the chassis part of the amp...).
Criticism and opinions are welcome,the ones in the picture are 200 x 140mm (sorry about the metric dimensions).Shipping would´nt be an issue seeing it ships in a flat envelope.

Thanks for your help.

GJA

I am interested.

Yes 200x140 is pretty small.The idea is to find a "standard" dimension.I would just provide the top plate for the moment.Might improve the design so that you can ship it flat and fold down the sides,could be an option.
Still need to which are the most used octal sockets and noval sockets...Anyone got a clue?

Last edited:
I was using, with good result, a 25mm DeWalt tubular drill to mount chinese ceramic octal sockets (top mount) For underside mounting will probably need 27mm or so.
For a small SE amp, a 200 X 300 mm plate will be around Ok
Ask the customer to send a CAD draft with detailed lay out & dimension data, in order to avoid any misunderstanding & sent back items.
Cheers
J

Yes 200x140 is pretty small.The idea is to find a "standard" dimension.I would just provide the top plate for the moment.Might improve the design so that you can ship it flat and fold down the sides,could be an option.
Still need to which are the most used octal sockets and noval sockets...Anyone got a clue?

For 8-pin & 9-pin sockets, the Belton Micalex are very high quality. Both available in bottom mount.

I agree those belton sockets look good...After looking at sockets on the net i realized most dimensions are pretty standard.
I´m changing the design for more space and drawing out the pp version.
I´ll have four versions:
1-se 2 octal tubes (ex:6j7g/6v6 etc)
2-se 1 noval driver octal output (ex:ecc81/6l6 etc)
3-pp 3 octals (ex: 6sl7/2x6l6 etc)
4-pp 1 noval driver 2 octal ouputs (ex:ecc83/2x6l6 etc)
Thanks for your comments!

I agree those belton sockets look good...After looking at sockets on the net i realized most dimensions are pretty standard.
I´m changing the design for more space and drawing out the pp version.
I´ll have four versions:
1-se 2 octal tubes (ex:6j7g/6v6 etc)
2-se 1 noval driver octal output (ex:ecc81/6l6 etc)
3-pp 3 octals (ex: 6sl7/2x6l6 etc)
4-pp 1 noval driver 2 octal ouputs (ex:ecc83/2x6l6 etc)
Thanks for your comments!

My experience is that you are always short of big holes.
I would choose for at least 2 holes for drivers/channel. Useful for differential cascode at front (see PP-1c design). And then, it is always nice to have additional a OD3 (or perhaps 2) on the deck. And what about 2 single pentodes/channel as a driver ? Or a aikido as a driver ?
Holes that you do not use are for airflow or you can put a placebo tube in it.

it looks like this is going to take a while before I come up with some sort of "standard" chassis...too many options!
One thing: this chassis is intended for ONE channel, I´ve always preferred the looks of two monoblocks (just my taste...).It also suits guitar amps which only need one channel.
I´ll think about a two channel layout later...

I´ve decided to use the belton sockets as standard dimension,they look good and are easily available.
The chassis will be bigger: 230x180 or even 250 x 200.I´ll leave the holes for the transformer to be done by the owner,the´re just too many options.
I´m thinking of building an optional housing around the chasis out of carbon fiber (I run a shipyard so there´s plenty available.The idea is to get a real high tech look.
I wired one of the protos (sandblasted finish) and it does look really good with valves and sockets...I´m having quite a lot of fun with this project!will post a picture later.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.