• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Balanced Input as Phase Inverter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi:

A recent post got me thinking about this. I am considering building an amplifier utilizing a PP:pP interstage and as little additional stages as possible. I had originally intended using a line transformer at the input to split phase, but I don't have a suitable one in the spares box. Since the source in my system (Behringer DEQ2496) has balanced outs, is there anything preventing me connecting XLR pins 2 and 3 to a dual gang 100k pot and feeding a wiper to each grid in my driver stage? In that case would the center tap be resolved by tying the pot's two ground legs together and using it as the starting point for my signal ground bus, with XLR pin 1 brought over to the ground of my power input and tied to the other end of the bus via an R or C ground lift? I'm also considering using a ladder attenuator for accuracy's sake. Thanks.

A good balanced output (not intimately aware of DEQ circuit) shouldn't give you any problems especially through capacitive coupling, but you won't be able to send feedback through it of course and you'll have to be sure behavior is good even common mode and during power cycling or you'll get unwanted signal in/out your PP stages.

...is there anything preventing me connecting XLR pins 2 and 3 to a dual gang 100k pot and feeding a wiper to each grid in my driver stage?

Any mistracking of sections (VERY likely, especially for an audio taper pot) will cause distortion and compromise common mode rejection. A precision attenuator is better, though not nearly as perfect as an input transformer.

The whole point of a balanced input is to reject common-mode signals. In your case you will be relying on perfect balance in both the driver and output stages, with the common-mode signals finally being rejected in the OPT. A dual volume control will ruin an already poor CMRR. You are creating a lot of problems, and at the same time destroying the very point of a balanced input. It would help if your driver stage itself rejects common-mode signals (e.g. LTP - not separate stages for each phase).

I'm very interested in this. will be doing something simular for a balanced tube based crossover network. I may be able to offer you some test materials. I can provide you with 4 very well wound transformers about half the size of a school eraser (1.5"X1.5"X1.5"). The transformer provides an approx 20:1 ratio. The inductance on the primary is about 27H and the secondary .175H. Using 2 per side will let you move the ground reference. If the 20:1 ratio is a no-go, you can use these as autoformers which would also move the ground reference. shoot me an email if you are interested.

I have built totally balanced systems before, for pro-audio installations.
It works just fine. But as already mentioned, all the stages have to be differential and very well balanced. But that is true of all diff amp. Each side needs to track well or be very well matched in order to maintain CMRR.
If you need a volume control, then the best solution is a matched stepped attenuator. Regular swipe pots are rarely matched well enough.

I have also built several PP power amps, using input transformers to split to differential and then used a diff amp to drive the ouputs. Some of the best PP amps I have ever built were done this way. It does increase the number of critical things to get right though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.