• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

300B SET amp input sensitivity, Help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 300B SET amp with 150mv input sensitivity and 100k ohm impedance. It has two 100k ohm volume pots.

I need to reduce the input sensitivity of this 300B amp to about 1V. I want to remove the volume pot.

Could someone tell me how I can reduce the input sensitivity to about 1V without the volume pot?
Perhaps I can put a resistor in place of the volume pot?
If so, how can I figure what value resistor I need?
Make a voltage divider with 15K resistor to ground and 100K resistor to the input?

Here is the schematic.

So the "voltage divider" IS the two resistors?

Attachments

• sun audio sv-300be Schematic.jpg
    sun audio sv-300be Schematic.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 231
He's talking about replacing the pot (variable voltage divider) with a fixed voltage divider. From the grid of the input tube insert 15 kOhm to ground. Connect 100 kOhm from the grid of the input tube to the input connector. Remove the pot.

Regular 1/8 or 1/4 W metal film types will work fine.

A better way to approach this would be to redesign the front end to give less gain, but that's a bit beyond the project scope at this point.

~Tom

Thanks Tom for the clarification.

I found a better solution: instead of lowering the input sensitivity of the 300B amp I think I can increase the input sensitivity of my 845 amp.

I found a resistor from the input tube grid to the positive input and a resistor from grid to ground in the 845 amp. It seems like I could remove these two resistors to increase the input sensitivity. What do you guys think of this? This would be a much easier solution.

I found a resistor from the input tube grid to the positive input and a resistor from grid to ground in the 845 amp. It seems like I could remove these two resistors to increase the input sensitivity. What do you guys think of this? This would be a much easier solution.

Schematic?

On most tube amps you'll find a resistor in the range of 470 kOhm to a few MOhm connected from the grid of each tube to ground. That resistor is needed for bias stability and does not appreciably affect the overall gain of the amp. Leave it!

Sometimes you'll also see a resistor of a few kOhm in series with the grid. Those are called grid stoppers and are used to avoid oscillations in the tube. They are needed.

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.