• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

anyone help convert dual volume to single?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This tube pre has independent l and R volumes. My power amp also has dual volumes so I'd rather just convert this pre to a single volume setup. Can anyone take a look at this pic and guide me towards this end?

thanks in advance.

fyi, this circuit is basically a marantz 7c

Attachments

• CIMG0905.jpg
    CIMG0905.jpg
    955.3 KB · Views: 168
Remove both single potentiometers and replace them with a double one of the same resistance and slope (logarithmic , I guess ) .
Put a red neon lamp to cover the hole of the lost pot .
Is it a joke ? :)

The second hole is where the balance control goes. So, he needs to understand how to add and wire up a balance control to the circuit.

There are two ways to do that. One is using a dual ganged pot. The ganged pot is wired similar to the ganged volume control, with one side grounded and the other connecting to the signal in. The wiper is the signal out. The ground side of the ganged pots are mirrored so that when you turn the pot one direction it increases volume of one channel and grounds the signal in the other. They make special tapers for these pots if you want to get exotic.

The other is a single pot with the wiper tied to ground and each end tied to the signal of the left and right channels. This pot needs to be a linear taper.

The current pots are 250k. So I should get a dual 250k and wire it up the same as it is now? including the jumpers on the left tab(s)

No balance needed as my power amp serves this function. thanks

I have two 500k dual pots handy. Would one of these work? One reads D500k and the other A500k. The current pots read B250k. I assume the A and D mean something? Not sure if either of these dual pots are log or audio.......?

Last edited:
Wow, no problem! Your on-hand parts are perfect.

Here's Rod Elliot's take on volume + balance control: ESP - A Better Volume Control

Dual pots, both 500k will make a parallel pair of 500k loads makes 250k!. . . if you use one for balance and one for volume.
The A500k is the volume pot.
The B500k is the balance pot (one channel reversed on the pot itself makes balance pot--simply linear pot and when one channel turns up the other channel turns down).
Together, they make a 250k load. Well, I'm excited! :)

Its awesome that you already have the needed parts on hand.

Got it wired in ! thanks fellas. Sounds and works great ! This is my first tube preamp. I love this thing with my old Mac mc250 and dynaco 25's ! Sweet, natural, rich midrange. I've been dialing in my little system for a while now and this pre is the final piece to the puzzle. Love it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.