• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Triode plate resistance == internal negative feedback?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Some valves don't do what we expect. The 6J6 is basically two planar triodes back to back, so it ought to be linear but it isn't. "

Looks similar to the 12AT7 curves. (see the Mu curves at end of data)
I don't have one handy to look at, but I would guess it has the grid 1 very close to the cathode, and maybe a somewhat coarser pitch to the grid wire windup. Both are rated for mixer use. I would guess they are both using grid wire "island effect" to get the non-linearity.

http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/093/6/6J6.pdf
http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/093/1/12AT7.pdf

"Some valves don't do what we expect. The 6J6 is basically two planar triodes back to back, so it ought to be linear but it isn't. "

There appears to be a strong correlation between plate tallness and linearity (for a given tube) - taller plates have better linearity. I am not familiar with the constructional details of the 6J6. How tall are is plates compared to the 12AT7?

Cheers

Ian

There appears to be a strong correlation between plate tallness and linearity (for a given tube) - taller plates have better linearity. I am not familiar with the constructional details of the 6J6. How tall are is plates compared to the 12AT7?

It is true when grids completely surround cathodes: edge effects affect linearity. Planar tubes have 4 edges, so taller electrodes do not mean higher area covered by uniform field. Planar tubes usually have denser grids, but grids of 6J6 and 12AT7 seems to be rare.

Those embarrassed by the idea of having hidden feedback in their amplifiers could always look at it another way:
- an ideal triode is a linear voltage amplifier with a non-linear output impedance (so for best results have a very high load impedance)
- an ideal pentode is a non-linear transconductance amplifier with a very high output impedance (so for best results either use very small signals, or arrange in push-pull with external NFB to reduce the output impedance)

Nicely said - and you could write <Solid State device> where you have written 'pentode'

A triode can be modeled as a voltage controlled current source (gm*Vgc) in parallel with the plate resistance (Rp). If the cathode resistance is zero or it is bypasses, then there is no feebdack through Rp. Rp will be in parallel with the anode resistor. If there is a cathode resistor, then Rp could be thought of as providing negative feedback. However, Rp varies with operating point so the feedback in nonlinear for large variation in plate voltage.

what about Rk? isn't it that there is supposedly a cathode resisistor equal to 1/gm at operating current of the stage?

Typical 6J6 anodes appear to be about 10mm tall, but the active part of the cathode is a bit shorter at about 8mm. There could be some end-effect, but as all electrodes continue past the active cathode surface I would expect this to be small. The grid pitch is not much smaller than the grid-cathode spacing (maybe 2:1 ratio?), so island effect will be fairly strong.

Typical 6J6 anodes appear to be about 10mm tall, but the active part of the cathode is a bit shorter at about 8mm.

That is similar to the 12AT7. The 6SN7 and its derivatives (6CG7/6FQ7) have an anode height of about 24mm and much better linearity. I tested about 50 6CG7/6FQ7 types some with 24mm plates and some with 18mm plates and the shorter plate types were always less linear.

This also appears to apply to the 12AX7. The EH12AX7LPS (a long plate version of the 12AX7) is a lot more linear than the standard height plate types. Despite its detractors, the 12AX7 is actually intrinsically very linear, even more so than the 6SN7 in the test I did.

Cheers

Ian

I'm not certain how universal is the trend you have seen, but if it generally applies the next question is why? I think it is unlikely to be end effects, although these may play a role. Maybe something else is going on.

If two valves are nominally the same (e.g. both 12AT7) then a longer anode has to be compensated for by something else (wider cathode-anode spacing?) otherwise it will draw too much current to be a 12AT7. Wider cathode-anode spacing then means wider cathode-grid spacing, in order to maintain the same mu. Wider cathode-grid spacing, with the same grid pitch, means less island effect and less distortion.

So, do long and short anode versions of the same valve have the same grid pitch or the same total number of grid wires or something in between?

I'm not certain how universal is the trend you have seen, but if it generally applies the next question is why? I think it is unlikely to be end effects, although these may play a role. Maybe something else is going on.

I don't know. I have tried it with only two tube types so far but it is clearly there in both.

Also, you have mentioned the 'island effect' several times but I can find no reference to it. Can you point me to the appropriate literature?

Cheers

Ian

Anyone know why the D3a is so revered for linearity in triode mode? Looking at the Philips data sheet triode curves it does not look all that great to me (next to last pages).

http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/009/d/D3a.pdf

The Mu curve droops significantly off at low current. Its active element is short, its got a small cathode. True it has a frame grid, and maybe some are unduly impressed by the extremely high gm, but an extreme linear tube would use a frame grid with only modest gm. Or are they all cheating and putting a big degeneration resistor in the cathode circuit?

There are some 20 K gm 5 W and 10 W frame grid TV video tubes ($0.50 to 1$ each in quantity) that simply, seriously..., blow away the published D3a curves. If I had a D3a I would put it up against one on the curve tracer and post a comparison, but I don't generally buy expensive tubes.

"when you set them up with a CCS plate load and LED bias, the experimentally determined linearity is astonishing"

Hmm, with a CCS load most tubes are too linear to tell any difference from the datasheet or curve tracer curves. But I generally like to see the triode curves not drooping over at high plate V and the Mu curve not drooping at low current, which does show up on the typical curves (well not so often published for pentodes) or on the tracer. Seems like I have seen -77 dB (2nd harmonic, sound card FFT) fairly routinely, at an optimized operating point, with frame grid video tubes. Haven't really tried to find the best one, probably as much variation, at that kind of level, within a tube type anyway.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.