• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help with ccs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I started this thread in the chip amp section, asking for help designing a constant current source for Joe Rasmussen's tube gainclone project. Maybe there will be more interest here.

I read this article by Nelson Pass which describes some current source designs. I was thinking about using the mosfet version, with a 1N936 temperature compensated zener (since I happen to have some on hand).

Joe's circuit is attached for reference.

Any thoughts? :scratch:

Attachments

• jrgc-tubed.gif
    jrgc-tubed.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,157
moamps said:
Hi,
why in solid state forum?:)
Isn't Tubes better ?

I put it in solid state because I was looking for a solid state current source. But I guess you're right; the tube forum probably would have been a better choice. Maybe I should have this thread moved.

A (probably stupid) question about your ccs suggestion: Does it depend on regulated supplies, since it has no voltage reference?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
Sparhawk said:
Okay, it was a stupid question, since this is a JFET ccs, so it doesn't need a voltage reference. I guess this is the quietest way to go. I notice that you recommend a higher B+ voltage, too.

Hi,

Only 35V for +B voltage is minimum, IMHO. For my taste, Va=ca +100V, and Ia=5-8mA are optimum values for this application.

Your Q are OK, don't worry.
(I have one stupid Q; mod's, anyone, help; how can I place more than one pic in one post??)

Regards

Attachments

• pcc88.jpg
    pcc88.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 943
Maybe I'll try a higher B+ voltage, then, assuming I can find an appropriate transformer.

moamps said:
(I have one stupid Q; mod's, anyone, help; how can I place more than one pic in one post??)

You can use the IMG tag to post multiple pics, but in that case you're not actually uploading the pics with the post, so they must be accessible via a URL (ie, on a web server).

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Moamps,

Would R2 be necessary? Or did you put it there to protect the Fet against turn-on transients?

From looking at the BF245 datasheet it seems to me the BF245B is the better candidate for the job or I'm I mistaken?

Another silly question showing my ignorance of all things solid state: are yuo regulating the -24VDC supply with something like an 7924 or similar?

EDIT: I just noticed you answered the last Q already, thks.

TIA,;)

fdegrove said:
Hi,
Would R2 be necessary? Or did you put it there to protect the Fet against turn-on transients?

From looking at the BF245 datasheet it seems to me the BF245B is the better candidate for the job or I'm I mistaken?

Hi,
With R2 you can set Id (Ia), and noise figure is slightly better; without R2, Id is determinate with particular FET characteristic.
We can use ordinary 7924 here.

I didn't try in practice this circuit (and PS) yet. I will, but haven't time in this moment. I agree that BF245B (and C) is better solution; I use them just for example.

We must (altogether) spend more time on this idea (theoretically and practically).:)

Regards

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

and they're far less expensive on HT voltage than valves, a valve can often achieve lower output capacitance.

Add to that that I have an almost instinctive distrust for semiconductors floating at highish voltages....

Hell, they don't even glow...

Let's face it, if anything is going to break down in a valved product it's 9/10 a zener, a reg or anything else solid state that per definition has it's reference removed by the manufacturer or at best is merely obsolete...which means yesterday nowadays.:(

Is there anything you can do with transistors you can't do with tubes?

Not that much, I'd say...

Oh, they do call me "Le Puriste" in my country for some obscure reason....:scratch:

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.