Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2010, 06:33 PM   #1
geladk is offline geladk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Good Power Resistores ???

Hi.

For the first time I’m going to build a tube preamp (ARC LS7 clone) and a tube power amp (ARC VT60 clone), and I intent to use top quality components.
I have no experience with sound quality and stability of power resistors (>0.5W) suitable for my project.

Can you recommend some types and marks?
Should I use deferent types of resistors depending on application in the circuit?

Thanks.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:31 PM   #2
работник
diyAudio Member

For 3W to 14W (more power with parallel pairs), try Vitreous Enamel wirewound. Welwyn W21, W22, W23 & W24 are a good series. These are used by designer Tim de Paravicini, in the EAR professional product range - in anode and cathode circuit positions.

Also, they are not expensive, so you can buy a few and try the sound for yourself! Be sure to run them at only 1/2 or 1/3 of the rated power, to get good sound.

Produktsøgning | Farnell Danmark
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:44 PM   #3
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Dav,

I haven't noticed any difference between brands in terms of sound quality. However, note that power resistors are designed to run HOT. As in 250 deg C at max power dissipation. To me, that's too hot for comfort so I tend to run power resistors at somewhere around 1/5~1/3 of their max rating. That keeps them to 65~100 deg C with 20 C ambient.

I tend to default to Vishay-Dale as they're usually the least expensive. I haven't had any issues with drift, but I haven't run an accelerated life-time test either... In my recent power supply design, the voltages were within 0.1 % of their initial value even after a couple of hours of burn-in. The output voltage was linearly dependent on the resistance of a 5 W power resistor (classic LM317-based "Maida regulator").

I'm sure Vejle RC Elektronik and/or Aarhus Radio Lager will be able to help you out with mail order parts if you don't have a local electronic components pusher.

~Tom

Last edited by tomchr; 2nd December 2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 3rd December 2010, 07:29 PM   #4
geladk is offline geladk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi.

Thank you both for the information :-)
I will look into Welwyn and Vishay-Dale.

Hide this!Advertise here!