JC Morrison circuits - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2010, 06:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default JC Morrison circuits

Last weekend was the European Triode Festival. There's some reports from the (all tube) events here:
European Triode Festival 2010
JC Morisson, currently a designer for Silbatone in Korea, had a presentation with several unusual but creative tube circuits. Another ETF attendant put these on-line here:
(new adventures in) ultra‐fi: new stuff from jc morrison

Enjoy!

jan didden
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:26 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Thanx for that Jan...

dave
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Hi Jan;
Do you mean CCS loaded pentode? How well it drives grid currents and Miller capacitances?
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Hi Jan;
Do you mean CCS loaded pentode? How well it drives grid currents and Miller capacitances?
Hi Anatolyi,

I have no expreience with these circuits, but they look different and innovative so that's why I posted the link here.
Apparently they are used in the no-holds-barred Silbatone equipment.
JC specifically said he wanted them out in the open to avoid some 'smart' guys to patent them.

jan didden
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Hi Anatolyi,

I have no expreience with these circuits, but they look different and innovative so that's why I posted the link here.
Apparently they are used in the no-holds-barred Silbatone equipment.
JC specifically said he wanted them out in the open to avoid some 'smart' guys to patent them.
Smart decision; I often do the same!

I am going to publish Vostok solid state assisted tube amp soon...

I'm still breadboarding it, to explore all possibilities.

It is kind of new replacement for SRPP, with some better qualities.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:06 AM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Nice to see someone out there being creative for a change. Now, if you combined that pentode circuit with Frank Bloehbaum's hybrid screen setup...
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:17 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Even if the the circuit is DC-connected from input to output, it still must be AC-connected signal-wise as C1 shorts the CCS.

About innovative circuits at ETF, Frank (Blohbaums?) Gm-circuit really should be mentioned. Used in his presented phono-amp.

Last edited by revintage; 2nd December 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Nice to see someone out there being creative for a change. Now, if you combined that pentode circuit with Frank Bloehbaum's hybrid screen setup...
I understand the two are talking a lot.... (to each other).

jan didden
Old 2nd December 2010, 01:26 PM   #9
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I'm not quite sure what the point of these inverted circuits is. Have I missed something?

If your first stage has a very high output impedance you had better be sure that your second stage has a very linear input impedance and very low Miller capacitance. Also very low heater-cathode leakage in the first valve, even with a DC heater, as this appears in parallel with the output unless you bootstrap the heater supply reference voltage. There is a reason why, until recently, most people used the classic simple circuits - and it was not ignorance!
Old 2nd December 2010, 02:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Gary Pimm shows some work on CCS loaded pentodes, and I have recently seen a power amp schematic somewhere showing exactly the same concept. So Mr Morisson himself, or anybody else willing to burn up some money, could probably still apply for a USPTO patent, maybe even get it, but it would never survive a trial process if someone was willing to challenge it (I don't know the exact terms in English).

Hide this!Advertise here!