HK Citation II Output Transformer Data ??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2010, 11:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default HK Citation II Output Transformer Data ???

Hi!

Anyone have measured and taken data of output transformer used by Harman-Kardon Citation II amplifier?

1) What is primary impedance - 3.3K, 3.6K, 5K, or whatever else?
2) What is UL tap ratio - 33% or 40%?
3) What is approx leakage inductance? Something around 20mH I suppose.

If someone actually mods by Stew Hegeman (with DC restorer circuit) please share your feedback, too.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion(s) !
Old 30th November 2010, 11:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

3.8k on early versions and 3.2k on later models. I think the latter are preferred. Not sure of the answer to two and three. I believe that there is a method to determine which version you have from the underside of the transformer. Cloth encased sleeve for wire = old. Rubber sleeve = newer, rubber grommets to protect the wire = newest.

Last edited by dnewma04; 1st December 2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 1st December 2010, 01:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The UL tap is approx. 20%. Ask Jim McShane what the leakage inductance is.
Old 1st December 2010, 02:05 AM   #4
rmyauck is online now rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

John Atwoods updated tests from Dec 29, 1990 says 3.5K @ 8 ohms and 34% Ultra Linear Ratio.

Hope that helps!

Randy
Old 1st December 2010, 04:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for everyone who replied ! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewma04 View Post
I believe that there is a method to determine which version you have from the underside of the transformer. Cloth encased sleeve for wire = old. Rubber sleeve = newer, rubber grommets to protect the wire = newest.
I can't make any measurement of Citation II transformers since I don't have any, otherwise it would be matter of an hour may be. My friend is a big fan of Citation II and asked me if I could assemble one for him with the visual look & design he likes (e.g. chassis of champaign color, aluminum-glass tube cage without any plastic, etc.). From the point of view of electronic engineering it is not a problem, but I'm not fond in mechanical metal and glass treatment, especially to be done in-house.

Hide this!Advertise here!