• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Goodcomponent - another chinese supplier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The picture shows holes for screws. They list screws as part of the kit. It is logical to deduce that the holes are present since they are in the picture and mounting hardware is included.

If it is not pre-drilled, how do they know how many screws to include, and what size I wish to use?

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Hopefully they didn't drill holes in the wood.

They did, I'm really hooked to this thread because it's very funny. The wood base is HEAVILY drilled. They didn't say but they did it. 8 holes for jacks and a big one for the AC fuse holder at the back, two more at the front for power switch and volume pot and a little one for the LED. ??????

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Here are the pictures.

As you can see it's got nothing to do with the shipment. Mind you, it is surprising it survived the long trip with so little protection. Those minor imperfections are all over the chassis, I just post a few. I also post a picture showing the chassis from some distance, it kinda looks good from afar.

Attachments

• Imagen 015.jpg
    Imagen 015.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 372
  • Imagen 016.jpg
    Imagen 016.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 342
  • Imagen 017.jpg
    Imagen 017.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 349
  • Imagen 018.jpg
    Imagen 018.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 349
  • Imagen 019.jpg
    Imagen 019.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 316
  • Imagen 020.jpg
    Imagen 020.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 216
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Have you sent these pictures to the supplier as well?

No, because I think it would be a waste of time. Besides, shipment fee was almost as expensive as the chassis itself. I wasn't expecting high quality but this is, as you say, not acceptable. Lesson learned (my mistake), telling it like it is and showing it to other DIYers and that's it.

As some of you may know, I'm building a pair of amps based upon the Mullard 5-20 and I guarantee there won't be even a sniff of chinese rubbish in it. Not if I can help it. I have a massive stock of Hi-Stab Morganite resistors going back to 1957. The valves (tubes) and capacitors are mainly Russian. The wood and steel is Welsh. The transformers are from the Isle of Wight. There's even some bits from good ol' USA. :D
Why buy chinese? :eek:

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
No, because I think it would be a waste of time. Besides, shipment fee was almost as expensive as the chassis itself. I wasn't expecting high quality but this is, as you say, not acceptable. Lesson learned (my mistake), telling it like it is and showing it to other DIYers and that's it.

So now you are going to show us what a propper case should look like..and make one just for the fun of it.. :)

Looking forward to the pictures..LOL

Regards
M. Gregg

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Why I did it? Do you really want to know why? I'll tell you all the important details: I'm not a cabinet-maker! I have very good, exotic wood, stored somewhere. Some weeks ago I went to talk with the local carpenter to see if he could make me a box with my wood. After our little chat both of us weren't feeling oh too happy. He thinking I was an *******; me thinking that his rude manners needed some taming and that the atmosphere was to dusty for my liking.

More info: this chassis is huge for a preamp, yep, that's what it's for. I have these over-sized parts (iron and poly caps ) and I never use them because I want my chassis to be cute - you're not cure if you weight too many pounds.
So I thought I would buy a cheap chassis just to try them out - see if they were worth the space and tonnage. If this boats sinks it will sink without pretty wood to waste. If it sails like the wind then I'm in trouble, because there's no way I can live with this crap on my living room.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Why I did it? Do you really want to know why? I'll tell you all the important details: I'm not a cabinet-maker! I have very good, exotic wood, stored somewhere. Some weeks ago I went to talk with the local carpenter to see if he could make me a box with my wood. After our little chat both of us weren't feeling oh too happy. He thinking I was an *******; me thinking that his rude manners needed some taming and that the atmosphere was to dusty for my liking.

More info: this chassis is huge for a preamp, yep, that's what it's for. I have these over-sized parts (iron and poly caps ) and I never use them because I want my chassis to be cute - you're not cure if you weight too many pounds.
So I thought I would buy a cheap chassis just to try them out - see if they were worth the space and tonnage. If this boats sinks it will sink without pretty wood to waste. If it sails like the wind then I'm in trouble, because there's no way I can live with this crap on my living room.

LOL...

I hope it all works out for you..
I think the boat will sail.....how much more can go wrong...errr

Perhaps you should make a bird house....

Regards
M. Gregg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.