low wattage valve amps - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2010, 02:23 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl_h View Post
This could be far in excess of your target then . . .

Click the image to open in full size.

This is a one watt guitar amplifier, using a 12AX7 preamp valve, with a 6T10 output valve. The power supply uses two low-voltage transformers back-to-back, while the output is a reverb driver transformer.

Construction details are here: The Uniwatt Amplifier Revisited
That's a nice build man! Real PTP and not tagboard semi 'PTP'.

BenJ, I agree about one watt being loud, and personally I like the sound of a saturated output tube. But some do not and prefer the preamp crunch to output. I've built a couple of midget watters myself, with 5687, 6922, 6x3A5s, 6W6, and have a blast letting guitarists try one watt. But as soon as a drummer comes into the blend...ferget it.

Btw, this is mainly a HiFi forum, and u risk getting wierd looks, tho there is an instrument section, so no worries.
Old 30th November 2010, 04:31 PM   #12
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't known anything about guitar amps but I've always been tempted to get an electric guitar for just the fun of playing around with it.

If you're looking at low voltage tubes all I've read about so far are using triodes at low voltages and the one I had my eye on is the 6DJ8 and Russian 6N23P.

p.s. welcome on board, it's good to have some threads that aren't just about hi-fi, guitar amps are most welcome in my book but I have much to learn. I don't even know what crunch is !
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 30th November 2010, 04:54 PM   #13
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

You might consider a 6AU6/A as they are much less expensive than the EF86 and probably more readily available.

I found this on another site that makes it look promising:

Push-Pull 6AU6 Build Thread. (warning: verbose!) - Telecaster Guitar Forum

Last edited by TheGimp; 30th November 2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 30th November 2010, 04:57 PM   #14
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Bigun, I got a guitar from Grizley for $39.95 plus shipping that turned out to be pretty nice for a beginner guitar. With good strings it has held tune for the last week with my spending a half hour to an hour a day on it.

H7581 36" Junior Guitar - Green
Old 30th November 2010, 11:17 PM   #15
jjman is offline jjman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
............. I don't even know what crunch is !
"Crunch" is one of the many words used for clipping. "Gain" is unfortunately (mis)used very often to mean clipping.

Hide this!Advertise here!