plate stoppers or cathode stoppers? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2010, 09:13 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Well, I finally got my 'shop-amp' done. I skipped the plate stoppers, only used the usual grid stoppers, and separate cathode resistors, which I suppose act as 'cathode stoppers'. Being a flea power amp, it makes just under 1watt, I havent bypassed the cathode resistors since I dont need the gain. That gives some local NFB, which I don't mind, and ensures each triode operates within estimate.
I used what I had laying around, which is how most of the amps I build for myself end up being built.
I paralleled 3 5687 triodes in the output and used some 5k:8 Edcors I had. Unfortunately the only PT I had only gives me 170volt for B+. But the work shop only needs a watt so no real worries. With this low B+ I really don't need 3 5687s, but I don't like V-6s.
As is it sounds pretty damn good. Measurementwise it has nice low distortion till I pass 2.5V rms where the higher Hs start popping in. Max swing is +-4V into 8ohms. The 5687s wont let the plate voltage swing lower than about 80V without higher harmonics showing up. With some grid drive I imagine I can swing them a little lower for half a watt more, but I'm not that desperate.
Either way, sounds really nice, highly recommended but if doing it again I'd buy a new PT with proper B+ voltages, somewhere around 250-300volts.
The Edcors are great for the price, they are the real cheap XSE-15 types, and I measure -3dB corners at 15Hz and 54kHz. Not bad for those OTs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg testarossa_ckt.JPG (24.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg testarossa.JPG (79.8 KB, 112 views)
Old 12th December 2010, 10:01 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Btw. I forgot to thank all of those who answered this thread.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:45 PM   #13
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

It's nice to see something different. I also have a 6SN7 mini amp. Yes, 1 Watt is enough.
Old 13th December 2010, 04:20 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I find the ECC88 Cathode follower config is particulary prone to self oscillations around 470Mhz..I use small ferrite beads and carbon res at the grid pins and if a CCS is used on the cathode, an "output resistor of 50ohms".
As SY suggests, the shortest decoupling route to reduce self inductance from valve tag to chassis.
Ironically, the wire lead inductance inside the tube is nearly longer than the external with components !

richy
Old 13th December 2010, 06:22 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hmm, my 'go to' scope has max 166kHz BW (It's an old trusty 16bit Picoscope). I guess I should unpack the old Philips scope, but that thing is a monster.

Just to keep this incredible thread going, here is the FFT of a 1kHz testsignal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lch0dB.jpg (31.9 KB, 66 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!