• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

5654 (6ak5) line stage in triode mode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
more than 1W or so from 1619 triode mode.
Triode mode: 5K:8 transformer, 330 ohm cathode res., 300V/41mA operating point.

0.8W, 1.7% THD.
Finito .

Try pentode mode, with 10K:8 OPT.
4.7W/10% THD.

Attachments

• 1619_pentode.jpg
    1619_pentode.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 1,520
  • 6ak5_1619_pentode.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 153
Triode mode: 5K:8 transformer, 330 ohm cathode res., 300V/41mA operating point.

0.8W, 1.7% THD.
Finito .

Try pentode mode, with 10K:8 OPT.
4.7W/10% THD.

Euro21, in addition of triode mode and pentode mode. Will there be any advantage in both power/distortion by running this directly heated pentode in Ultralinear mode over pure pentode mode?:rolleyes::confused:

Last edited:
Just curious, why do you want to use a pentode for this? No real performance advantage over triode and higher parts count.

Whichever direction you go, the figure of merit is the transconductance. Output impedance is roughly the reciprocal of transconductance, so high gm = low source Z. That's why some of us have bitten the bullet and gone to MOSFET source followers to drive output stages.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
So it looks suitable to drive a 2A3 or 45 if used in Triode mode ? biased at -2v

How did you pick "-2V" so quickly??

You like the sound of it?

Let's think. A 2A3 may need as much as 60V grid drive. A driver with Mu of 20-30 will give gain of 15-20. 60V/20 means you may need 4 Volts of signal to the driver grid. That's a lot for many Hi-Fi sources. And does not seem to fit a "-2V bias" condition.

You have two prime paths:

1) List your Resources, and your Requirements, and *design* something to get from one to the other.

2) The '45 and 2A3 have been around for over eighty years. Didn't ANYone ever use them? And write-down that they did? I think so. There must be heaps of happy '45/2A3 plans out there. I thinks soundhappy(?) has a thread where every other image is a magazine article about DHT power amps. Elsewhere on the Web I keep running into SE '45 plans, and probably 2A3 also. Stealing a known-good plan is the low-pain low-risk way to build an amplifier.

dissimilar cascode history with 6AK5 as triode + 6J4

A while ago I got the idea I thought was just fishing for a crazy idea...making a cascode with two triode-wired pentodes.

I recently read that the first Wallman (published as Valley & Wallman) cascode, was actually made with 6AK5 as triode plus 6J4 (high gm). Of course it was for small signal RF so the warning earlier in this thread about small signal capability for UHF tubes restrains my excitement...but tells me it wasn't such a wacko idea.

I may be getting some used 6AG5-6J4-12AT7 sets from a neighbor, but when I have them I'll believe it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.