• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

5654 (6ak5) line stage in triode mode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You could series-parallel any number of different tubes and "amplify".

Is there a point? I don't see it.

The RADAR Labs folks worked with TIGHT constraints on tubes. The classic 1930s tubes were good for MHz but not dozens of MHz. The 1940 tubes were getting there, but only a few types, especially as all tube production turned to war production (much of it NOT leading-edge but existing designs on older tubes).

"High Gm" always demands high current. In audio we normally run low current so we can use high value plate resistors. This gives more low-frequency gain, what we want. High current resistor-loaded is low gain even if Gm is good. (Coil-loaded tune RF circuits are also different because high current is not large DC voltage drop.)

There's not much you can't do with a 12AT7. Other tubes may be better in specific ways. Circuit "balance" usually counts more than tube type.

What's the point?

Probably just that I don't want the neighbor to discard the things he offered me, and finding ways to repurpose it interests me more than, uh, bowling, plumbing, whatever.

Thanks, as always, for your input, whether it's 'go for it!' or 'what are you (not) thinking?!?'...it's always appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.