A couple newbie questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2010, 11:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A couple newbie questions

I'm in the process of gathering parts for my first stereo amp. I've built a good number (say 20) guitar amps. However, I have a concern about grounding issues. My plan is to build a preamp and two monoblocks. If I use three prong plugs on each piece of equipment and then shielded cables running back and forth from the preamp to the monoblocks....isn't that going to create ground loops? What can I do (ahead of time) to prevent and/or reduce the possibility of ground loops.

Question number 2...

One of the rules among guitar amp builder is to put the transformers as far apart as possible. However, I see home-built and commercial amps with the transformers REALLY close together. Granted the laminations are oriented at 90 degrees, but close. Do I need to worry about the OT picking up any interference from the PT?

Thanks!
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

For #1, read this and this
Old 24th November 2010, 12:05 AM   #3
49 - for the 18th time - again!
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that aardvarkash10 - verrrrrrry nice!
Old 24th November 2010, 12:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

don't thank me - I'm just the freeloader who knows where to look! The authors are the good guys here - and both of these authors have done lots in the field for our community
Old 24th November 2010, 12:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks! ...and knowing where to look is 99.9% of the battle!! I appreciate the head's up!
Old 24th November 2010, 11:43 AM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Interference between transformers is always possible, but 90 deg orientation helps a great deal. Stereo OPTs are generally higher quality than guitar OPT, so may have less stray field/pickup.

The fact that you have asked this question shows that you are already thinking about the right issues. One big difference between stereo amps and many guitar amps is that stability is achieved by careful layout and screening, rather than huge grid stoppers.

Hide this!Advertise here!