Flea-power class-A2 using a power opamp driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2010, 01:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Flea-power class-A2 using a power opamp driver

Click the image to open in full size.

I always wanted to try using a power opamp as a class A2 driver. I finally got around to some experiments. I managed to have some sucess, especially using a 1636 (ala Darling amp) to get ~1.2W out. Still experimenting - I need to try push-pull, and some different tubes. Here's the info:

Class-A2 and a power opamp driver

Let me know if you can think of any candidate tubes. The power opamp can only put out about +/-36V @ 50mA, so stuff like 811's are not workable. So far I've tried the 1636, 2E26 (OK but not a lot of advantage over A1), and 6V6/6L6/6W6 (worse than A1). Seems like some of the newer semi-useless 9-pin-mini RF tubes might do well here?

Pete
Old 23rd November 2010, 03:41 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Small power valves were usually either:
- not intended to take grid current, so the grid may overheat
or
- intended for Class C, so not especially linear

Exceptions are QQV series tetrodes (e.g. 6360 in USA), which have a rugged grid for Class C but are also intended for linear applications (mainly AB1). Another possibility is 5B/254M, but I would expect that to behave like a 6L6 or 807.
Old 23rd November 2010, 03:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

801... 801...
Old 23rd November 2010, 06:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Looking at the grid drive 'scope picture on your website makes me wonder if the TI amplifier chips would have an issue with asymmetrical power supplies. If the supplies don't have to be symmetrical the supplies could be optimized for the tubes needs.
Old 23rd November 2010, 07:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

How'bout 3A5?
Old 23rd November 2010, 07:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I just got a bunch of VT61A dual triodes that have ability to sink up to 17ma of grid current...
Old 25th November 2010, 06:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I am planning to build a se amp with a 1619 dht in triode mode. The datasheet shows the positive grid curves for the pentode mode. I manually checked out the triode connection in the a2 region and it looks promising. A +_25v swing with 2k load goes from 135 ma to 20ma. 180v,0 bias and 70ma quiescent current.

Alfredo
Old 25th November 2010, 10:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary P View Post
Looking at the grid drive 'scope picture on your website makes me wonder if the TI amplifier chips would have an issue with asymmetrical power supplies. If the supplies don't have to be symmetrical the supplies could be optimized for the tubes needs.
Good point - the IC doesn't care where ground is, so that would work well.

Pete
Old 25th November 2010, 10:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
I just got a bunch of VT61A dual triodes that have ability to sink up to 17ma of grid current...
Is that the same as a DET19 or 2C34? I have a few of those, on my list to try. They seem like they would work great in A2.
Old 25th November 2010, 10:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

yeah, close to the 2C34 apparently, although I'm having a difficult time tracking down a useful datasheet.

Hide this!Advertise here!